Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

I am looking at the Mk II on ebay right now and was wondering what would be a good approximate value for this car. Anyone have any guesses? And better yet does anyone actually know this car and can tell me anything about it?

Here’s the link to ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/221376469143?ss … 1423.l2649

Thanks,
      Ian

James Lindner
      Keymaster

Ian

A very informative discussion on the this MkII ongoing on the CAT Forum. See link.

http://www.catmbr.org/VB_forum/showthread.php?t=2680

Jim

Thanks for the info, looks like I may just want to stay away from this one!

warren-g
        Participant

I contacted the seller, thru the link at the bottom of his description. He was rather forthright and candid about his long time ownership and the changes made when the car was well let’s say less special. You should contact the seller and hear it from the horses mouth. I know of a very nice MK2 that is for sale in California.

Warren,

I have been talking a bit with the owner, but I haven’t got around to asking too much about the details yet. I asked if he would consider trading for my 1974 Pantera. He is interested in that, and I told him we can wait and see what happens with the auction and then go from there.

I know a little bit about Tigers and what to look for, but I know very little about the differences between a Mk 2 and a 1 or 1a, besides the obvious in appearance.
          I have been thinking of selling my Pantera in the spring and then looking for a Tiger. I saw this car come up on ebay and thought I’d throw the offer out. So, I am not really ready to purchase the Mk II in California but I would still like to know the sale price and look at any pictures that may be out there. I would also like to know what You, or anyone else, feel this car is worth. The owner has given me an approximate value, and given the controversy and talk about questionable repairs, missing items and so on, I am thinking that estimate may be a bit high.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Ian

warren-g
          Participant

Its a total crap shoot on this car. The bad press so to speak can either be a the car’s best point or worst point. It may work in your advantage if you can personally inspect the car. Anyone who buys an old car without eyes on himself or that he trusts is on a fools mission. What’s original rivets and numbers matching worth on a MK2 or other Tiger is anyone’s guess now certainly less with out the MK2 title, it is much easier as the comps are out there for non MK2’s. Your due diligence should be extended reading in the UK forum reshelling thread all available on TAC and original rivets. A good story is "Possible Fantasy," on CAT. Granted you may not move to the Netherlands but when you are talking 6 figure cars it deserves a read. Oh if you join CAT you can check out the library copy of B.O.N. put that on your reading list.

To be clear I am not representing the MK2 seller he just told me months ago that it was for sale and he has asked that I shoot it a web host a picture fest for the car. The car is TAC’ed as well and in the 100 range. Please feel free to or email me for phone number if you’d like to chat. I do not care who get the ebay car or the one I mention . The seller has his hindsight glasses on, Holy crap if I’d of known it was going to be a 6 figure car I’d of not moved the drive line about. It is a fishing expedition of a listing, cause you know any savy buyer is going to get out there see it in person and then say either here the dough, or here is your e bay fees I had a change of heart, bye…..or just bye if they have no class.

I remember passing on the idea of a Pantera when they were 10 grand, they don’t have a open top though and it’s a great car but as I refer to my Tiger, The girl’s all dressed up with no place to go.

If the car is still around after the ebay auction, I will go take a look at it. It’s only 350 miles away from me so it’s an easy drive. Of course I will report what I find, but we will see what happens.

Thanks for the reading suggestions, I will check those out.

Ah yes, the days of the $10k Pantera are long over. $10,000 will get you a transaxle and not even a newly rebuilt one! $25k will get you a rusty parts car.

Ian

Viewing 6 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.