Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Joseph Urban
      Participant

I am trying to determine which Lucas Turn signal switches will fit a Tiger. I looked at the parts manuals online but many nymbers are listed and not clear if they all work. Some parts numbers listed are 31889A, 34332, 34791A, 34981, 34982 — trying to avoid wrong part.

Sean Johnson
        Participant

there are 2 possibilities 34719A which is just a turn signal switch or 34981 which is also includes a headlight flasher switch

warren-g
          Participant

How about this

warren-g
            Participant

By the way….
              Lazy man’s way to resize photos.
              Picture it text to yourself then download the text compressed picture.

Ron and Cathy Stein
              Participant

Did Tigers or Alpines ever come with a headlight flasher unit? It’s something I could see on a Super Snipe, but I haven’t seen one from an Alpine or Tiger. I needed a decent one for my car, and looked through a box of them that I have. 18 turn signal switches and 17 had the plastic clip broken. Obviously a common problem. I know the switch repair kits are available at various Sunbeam suppliers, but I luckily have some on hand. Then there is the signal cancelation issue, which is number 50 on the to-do list. There is a good article on this fix on the TEAE website.

Joseph Urban
                Participant

If you look at the Parts Manuals online you will see the flasher type unit listed. I needed that type bacuse my Tiger had an aftermarket steering wheel without horn button and you can wire the flashed for the horn.
                  I also found that the repair clips are junk, my Tiger had been repaired twice with the “kit” fom the usual supplier and it quickly breaks. A NOS unit did not have the wear in all the other bits and fixed the issue.

Ron,

The Alpine V wiring diagram in the shop manual shows an optional headlamp flash for LHD only. Interesting that it wasn’t offered for the home market. I don’t think they are very common.

Bob and Jean Webb
                    Participant

An option to operate the horn is to set it up using something like a momentary over drive switch that was mounted on the steering column and was used on various British cars. The Harrington LeMans was set up this way. It does require an added opening on the column surround.

alpine-64
                    Participant

@joe ,

They are used on home market Hillman’s and other Rootes cars post 66. I know some Australian built Rootes cars used them

Ron and Cathy Stein
                      Participant

I would have thought that Rootes should have made a flasher unit standard on a Tiger, for more of an upscale product. Having said that, using the high beam/low beam foot switch to warn others of speed traps, or for passing, effectively works the same way. It would have been handy for the Tiger (or should I say Alpine V8) owners in Germany on the Autobahn. I’ve driven on the Autobahn a number of times in rental cars, and the high speed cars driving at 160-200 kph range start flashing a km back warning that they want to pass…

Bob and Jean Webb
                        Participant

I’ve had 21 Sunbeams over the years and none have had the flasher built into the switch. I do have one that I bought several years back while at the Carlisle import swap meet. It does have the usual broken piece that needs replaced.

Viewing 9 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.