Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Hello All!
      A few years ago I saved an orphan — a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger MK1. The car was completely stripped (parts), except for front suspension, rear suspension, steering column and brake/clutch pedals. (About 80% of the parts that were stripped off the car were in boxes and garaged). The car had sat outside in the North Eastern USA with top off for 20+ years in the elements. The vehicle rusted from the inside out. Did I mention the old amateur front end collision repair work? Needless to say MOST people would have taken the car to the crusher. I had the cheese grater (car) dipped and rust removed chemically. I have spent the last three plus years on Saturdays removing old metal and installing new. (I must say I think I am getting pretty good at fabricating at this point.) It has been quite a journey and I have a special love of the little car that I am trying to bring back to life. (We have bonded!) I have taken several hundred pictures of all the bodywork that has been done to this point. I hope to have the bodywork done this summer and the car in paint this fall or early winter.

I have spent many hours on the Internet looking at pictures of Tigers and Tiger projects. I appreciate the bone stock unmodified cars as well as the personally customized ones. I have not been able to deduce or nor can I find anywhere in print guides to original color schemes for body and the drive train. Having restored a number of early Mustangs, I am aware of different schemes for different years in the pony cars.

FINALLY to my questions:
      Were the MK1 tigers painted body color everywhere — top, bottom, and inside?
      What colors were the engine block, alternator bracket, pulleys, oil filter assembly, heads, transmission, rear end, expansion tank, etc?
      Was the optional Tiger hard top body color or were they available and acceptable in black?
      I know that much of this is personal preference in a modified vehicle, just wanted to get a good picture in my mind of the stock paint schemes.
      Thanks so much for reading this far. Your knowledge and opinions are greatly appreciated.
      I will have more questions later as I try to figure out how to put the soft top/hardware together on the car and also with the electrical/wiring system.
      Thanks
      Gene

alpine-64
      Participant

Were the MK1 tigers painted body color everywhere — top, bottom, and inside? YES

What colors were the engine block, alternator bracket, pulleys, oil filter assembly, heads, transmission, rear end, expansion tank, etc?
        Was the optional Tiger hard top body color or were they available and acceptable in black?
        I think the engines were the ford blue but i have seen many in black, the heads would be the same. rear end is black brackets would have been black as the expansion tank. the optional hood was body colour if ordered with the car, otherwise available in black or white.

Hi Gene,

Michael is quite correct. I have been looking through the B.O.N copy that I have and the engine block/pan are old ford dark blue (I assume that the heads are taken as the engine block), the generator brackets are black (generator satin black) as are the alternator brackets, the pulleys are black, the expansion tank and straps are black as is the rear end. The oil filter bracket was black, but the remote adaptor for the oil filter is aluminium. It looks like most of the LAT options were either chrome or aluminium signifying a modification from stock clouring. If there are any other specific item colours you need, please ask.

Regards, Robin.

HI Gene,

I sent you a PM

Jack

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.