Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Ron & Linda Jones
      Participant

Hi all,
        Since my post, in modified Alpine, about Weber upgrade, I got my Strombergs straightend out enough to put them on. I haven’t done much work on the SV this week, because I’ve had the stomach flu, but felt well enough yesterday for about an hour to put the carbs back on. This is a project abandoned and in a barn for 10 yrs and I haven’t seen it run before. I don’t have the fuel-pump straighten out yet, so I rigged up a "funnel" to pour gas into the carbs. I hooked up the battery, jumped the coil, pushed the button, on the solinoid, and she started. ๐Ÿ˜ฏ I don’t have any of the vacuum lines hooked up or plugged, so she ran rough as crap, but I don’t care, SHE RUNS!!! ๐Ÿ˜€ I don’t have any water in the cooling system, so I didn’t play around w/smoothing her out. If I’m feeling well enough, later, I’m gonna get her some water and see if I can’t smooth her out.
        I feel pretty good about this, since getting her running determined whether I’d continue. An engine rebuild/replace would stretch the Alpine budget beyond the breaking point. At this point I just needed to hear her run. I’m probably gonna go w/ a single carb setup, once I can source a reasonably priced (cheap) SIV manifold. I got the hydraulics hooked up and "working", last week. They still need bleeding. Once I get the the fuel pump working and the engine timed and tuned, I can justify getting tires, and into paint.
        Ron

I just noticed on ebay there is a single carb manifold for an Alpine. Item #130290256597.

The ad says it’s for a 1592 motor so I don’t know if you can use it. Starting bid is $19.99

Fred Baum

Ron & Linda Jones
        Participant

Thanks Fred, I do believe that’s it. I’ve put a watch on it.
          Ron
          BTW, I put water in her and got her running again, for a longer time. Just runing seems to have smoothed it out, somewhat. She’s idling too high, though. Slow idle adjustment screws don’t seem to do anything.

Hi,

I believe other than the cast iron head manifolds, all the Alpine manifolds are interchangable. So if the manifold was from a 1592 it would be fine. If you have not run the car for a while, it may be worth giving the carburettor a good clean or at least some carby cleaner.

Good Luck,

Regards, Robin.

Ron & Linda Jones
          Participant

Thanks for the reply, Robin. The thing is, I’ve never had it running. I bought it non running, it’s been setting in a Barn for 10yrs and needed lots of TLC, just to get it here.When I bought it, the only thing I knew, that was good, was the body. I’ve rebuilt the carbs as well most of the other systems. This was THE test, to see if the engine was any good. ๐Ÿ˜€
            Here are a few pics. The engine compartment is a little cleaner now, but still looks much the same. I’ve also ripped up all the interior, have cleaned it up repainted the floor and have laid some undercarpet insulation. I don’t want to install new carpet and top, until I have it painted.

Cheers
            Ron

That’s great news … The moment of truth proves that the car runs. 8) All you need is good oil pressure and a smooth idle. Once all the vacuum hoses are attached then make a real assessment.

If you aren’t concerned about originality, just forget the standard fuel pump and go with a facet electric fuel pump. I run these on both my Imps, and know quite a few folks running them on their Tigers as well as Alpines.

Glad to see it is getting the TLC that it deserves. The body looks very straight from your pictures. How was everything else mechanically? Keep us all informed with your progress.

Regards, Robin.

Ron & Linda Jones
            Participant

Yeah, I’m pretty happy, Eric. I did get out there today filled the radiator, and gave her a start. I kept her running a good long while, but didn’t get any water movement. I hope the thermostat just didn’t open, I hope it’s not the water pump. After running a bit she smoothed out a lot, but the idle is still too high. I still have the oil guage hooked up, so while it was running, I looked @ the guage. The needle looked to be around center left, kinda hard to see w/all the dirt. I’m gonna try to play w/the jet settings, to see if I can drop the idle. I tried playing w/the slow adjustment screw, but it didn’t do anything. I haven’t set the fast idle yet. An electric fuel pump is probably in the future. As well as the manifold Fred brought to my attention, a buddy may have a solex and/or a zenith, single, carb/manifold setup. This is the guy that told me about this Alpine. He said he would know on Saturday.
              Robin, as I’ve indicated not much was working, when I got her. Quite a bit of surface rust, only the spare tire well is rusted through, frame appears straight. I’ve cleaned and rattlecaned the engine compartment. All the he hydraulics, brakes and clutch, were completely frozen, but seemed to have had new kits installed so I tore them down, cleaned them up and put them back together. I appear to have pressure, but needs to be bled, some more. I’m not sure if the clutch is disengaging, though. I’ve replaced the clutch slave cyl, plugs, plug wires, points and condenser. The brake booster was really in bad shape, so I’ve rebuilt that. I removed all the interior rags that used to be carpet and insulation, scrapped off the surface rust and repainted w/rustoleum. I got a VicBrit carpet kit and used it as a stincil to cut out insulation and have temproaraly laid some of it. All the rubber molding needs to be replaced, I think I’ve purchased all the pieces. I"ve removed the windshield from the frame and frame from car. One side window is broken, but I have a replacement in the "extras" pile that came w/it, as well as most/all the chrome trim and a replacement top. The seats seem to be in decent shape. I’ve also removed the dash padding from the dash and pulled the dash out, and pulled the engine wireing into the interior compartment, better viewing/testing/accessability. I’m not sure if the alternator and electricals are working. I’m also in the process of stripping the wheels, for repaint. There are probably other things I’ve done and forgotten, as well as redoing somethings right, after doing it wrong.
              Sorry, to be so long, Robin, but you did ask ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ™‚
              Cheers
              Ron

Viewing 7 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.