Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I know there are more than just a couple of tigers that have raced 1/4mile or 1/8 mile how about your times and what mods have been done to it.

Refresh my memory… it’s been a few years since I rode in your car. What mods did you make to the rear suspension to get it to launch like it does?

I changed the rear end housing out to a chrysler 8 3/4 but left it in the same location. Still have the shocks on it that I put on in 1973.
      I took the stock traction bars off and replaced with a set of Cal-Tracs.
      The rear springs are still stock.
      I also run alot of down pinion angle so it really plants the tires and leaves even on the rear and not to one side like it did before i put the Cal-Tracs on.

Are those cal trac’s custom made. I have been working on a copy for my tiger. I am using springs from Dale’s restorations, which seem a little weak up front by the eye. I hope nothing breaks.

quote Fast Tiger:

I know there are more than just a couple of tigers that have raced 1/4mile or 1/8 mile how about your times and what mods have been done to it.

In 1966 my stock Tiger did the quarter in 16.17 seconds around 86 mph. I always won my class, J Stock, but was a couple of seconds off the national record. Another fellow had a station wagon, that was in J Stock Automatic, that ran just under the national record. He was much faster than I and I had to spot him in the run-offs. It was still fun for a 17 year old.

Later I added a stock ’68 Mustang 302 4bbl. With no other changes it turned in the high 14s and mid 90s. This was all with 2:88 gears, open differential, and close ratio trans.

My best 1/4mi. run was 12.22 at 113mph. This was at the Ford vs Chevy race in Gulfport Miss. in 2003. The car was under water for two weeks in Katrina. I’m in the middle of a complete restoration. The new engine is a 331cu. roller just finished. It should be about 425hp, 75 more than the old one. I hope to get into the low 11’s with this one.

quote maicoh12:

My best 1/4mi. run was 12.22 at 113mph. This was at the Ford vs Chevy race in Gulfport Miss. in 2003. The car was under water for two weeks in Katrina. I’m in the middle of a complete restoration. The new engine is a 331cu. roller just finished. It should be about 425hp, 75 more than the old one. I hope to get into the low 11’s with this one.

That’s alot out of a 331 what heads. What rear end and trans are you running and tires.
      I just finished getting a set of 26×1050 M/T ET Streets on 15" Rod lites.
      Car really hooks with new combo. Don’t think the C-4 trans is going to last much longer.

The 331 is a 10.4 to 1 DSS short block with ported AFR 185 heads. It has a 3.54 posi, Pa comp. C4, custom 9in. converter, and 245-50-15 worn out BFG’s. The car is stripped out, maybe 200lb. less than stock.

Well its about time I got the car to run right without burning spark plugs, turning on the right switch’s to get the NOS to work.
      Drove the car to the track and made four passes, three on NOS the best was a 10:25@136MPH, this is the best I’ve done here in Albq. the Elev. was at 7000 + that night so I was happy with those runs. Will be taking the car to Roswell NM 0n the 13th they have a better preped track and the elev. is about 3300ft the car should go into the 9’s @140. If still running will go to a race in Vegas in NOV.
      Maybe have to make a trip down to sea level, like New Orleans 8)

How about an article about your racing experiences and preparations for the Rootes Review? Photos would be great, too.

We have lots of road race features, but no drag race ones. It would be a nice change.

Fred Baum
      Editor, Rootes Review

Took the car to Rowell last night. Did’nt get a 9sec pass but it went 10:0008 @ 142mph on a 10sec index and won the class. The track prep was not that great so had a traction problem when car went into second.
      Its always a great race when I can drive the car back into the trailer and unload and put it in the garage.
      I’m hoping we can make it to Vega’s but money is tight.

Here’s a picture of my old MK2. Although the car was set up for autox, it ran a best time of 12.57@115 mph. on 205/60 13 tires. That was in 1986/87.

My dads 64 ran a 13.8 @101mph with a built 289 on 175/70/ 13s

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.