Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Hi,

I was reading the cooling article written by Tiger Tom and Chuck King again and the thermostat used in the testing was a 180 degree unit. I understand that airflow is the key point to their testing, but I was wondering if testing was done using a 160 degree thermostat or even a high flow thermostat. In Australia we use the 160 degree basically though out the year as our winter temperature would rarely go below 10 degrees C. With the other enhancements in the article, it would be interesting to see the findings with the thermostat opening earlier and with slightly more flow in the case of the high flow thermostat.

Regards, Robin.

Chuck & Wanda King
      Participant

Hi Robin,
        Tom and I did not test a 160 degree thermostat. We did test with a restrictor plate (thermostat welded wide open) and with no t-stat at all. These conditions would probably be closer to a 160 high flow t-stat than a standard 160 or 180 degree t-stat. It’s been too long ago for me to remember the exact time in the chronology of the tests to say what all enhancements were used when we did those tests —- frankly I don’t feel like digging through those tests to check on all the testing conditions. What’s important I can talk about though and can surmise some things from what’s in the article we have posted. Tom had done the thermostat tests in the article, so I can’t speak 1st hand, but judging from the test numbers shown on the bar graphs shown and what the engine temperatures were, I think very few enhancements were being used at the time. The results obviously would have improved with more air, but the results we posted were consistant with other increased water flow tests. The poiint of all this chatter is that increased water flow at an idle, in our tests increased engine temperature, so I would assume the situation you’re presenting would have had a similar result.
        When you said about the temperature where you are in Australia having a low of 10 degrees C, it took a minute for that to register. That’s about a low of 50 degrees F. Sounds pretty good to me now when it’s below freezing almost every day. But that brings up the other side of the low temps, that is that you probably have much higher and many more high temperatures than we do here in Pennsylvania. Even though you may be able to run at temps below 180 degrees F at highway speeds on hot days, at low speed and at an idle the engine temp is going to get up more in the 200 + degree area even with airflow enhancements (except for the inclusion of an electric fan). That means if you use a 160 degree t-stat on hot days, between the highway and an idle, you’re going to have fairly large temperature swings. The engine operates nicely between 180 and 210, so if you use the 180 t-stat, the temperature swing cycle will be considerably less, which is much kinder to your engine.

Hi Chuck,

Thank you very much for your reply. I understand that the article was written quite some time ago, but I appreciate your time to reply. I will definitely look at the temperature swing in warmer weather between highway and idle speeds and if they are too severe, I will look at the 180 degree thermostat. It was interesting to hear from a local club member regarding the Tiger coling system. The person was talking to a very reputable radiator shop who believe that they can cure the cooling issues by a latest technology radiator and some pump modifications. If you are interested, I could find out some more information regarding the mods.

Regards, Robin.

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.