Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I purchased the 30 spline axles from Sunbeam Specialties for my Tiger. Now I need to get bearings and a differential. My local differential shop is being a bit difficult so I need some help. Do you have the bearing numbers needed for replacement in the differential and on the axles. Also, I need a locking differential. I have been told to get it from a Jeep, but that is kind vague. Do you have a differential model number, part number, or specific vehicle where I can find a differential to take out. Any information would be helpful. Thanks and have a great day.

If you haven’t joined CAT and purchased their Shop Notes, you might want to consider it. I don’t have mine with me but I’m sure you can find the part numbers in there. A lot of the information is old but you can usually find a supplier that can cross reference the old part numbers. I’ll take a look over the weekend.

Cleandan, The bearings can be bought at NAPA. Ask for bearings to fit a dana 44 in a 63-66 jeep. The posi. unit can be found at your local salvage yard (63-66) jeep. The most common being a 3:54 and 3:31 gear. The rear end is the same only longer in the jeep.

You might want to buy a Master install kit when you buy a gear set comes with the carrier bearings, pinion bearings, seals and such. Does not come with axle bearings and seals.

The Dana 44 is used in a lot of cars and trucks and with your new 30 spline axles you should have no problem finding a locker and could save a pile buying a used locker. I bought a used Powr-lok for $75 and put a new clutch pack in it another $30. My locker came out of a Scout and is a 19 spline. For the more common 30 spline axle you could also look at the inserts for your stock carrier. EZ Locker or Lock Right may make a unit for the stock carrier and you will not need to change the bearings or have the gears set up provided you want to run the gear you have now.

The other thing to keep in mind particularly if you go with a used locker is there are two versions one will carry something like a 3.89 and down the other somewhere around that and up. So if you buy the wrong one for the gear you want to run you have a problem.

Here is a link where a fellow talks about some of the lockers available for the Dana.
      http://pacific.telebyte.com/allanw/bind … ocker.html

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.