Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

Since I was in the Sunbeam Tiger world. Great news, I will be purchasing a Tiger again in about 10 months.

I was hoping to find a "HI, I am a new guy" area to post this but could not.

I am Duke Samouce currently still employed by the US Army. My family and I will be moving to Fort Leavenworth, KS in a couple of weeks for a year.

In 1994 I bought a Mk 1A Tiger in San Diego CA. It turned out to be a rebody fake and as luck would have it, I totaled the car in 1996 and it was removed from the pool. I was living in Enterprise AL at the time and some of you may remember me. So, a TAC approved Tiger is a must for this go around.

I will be hanging around with you guys, soaking up all the info I can for this purchase. It has been 11 years, so I have a lot to remember and learn.

Thanks for the read,
      Duke

Welcome back! Did you know Ed Esslinger in Alabama when you lived there? Hope you can make it to the United in Florida this Fall-there may be a few cars for sale there. Otherwise keep in touch with clubmembers as sometimes the best cars are sold by word of mouth.
      Good luck with your move and thanks for your service.
      Eric

quote 65sunbeam:

Welcome back! Did you know Ed Esslinger in Alabama when you lived there? Hope you can make it to the United in Florida this Fall-there may be a few cars for sale there. Otherwise keep in touch with clubmembers as sometimes the best cars are sold by word of mouth.
      Good luck with your move and thanks for your service.
      Eric

Hello Eric,

Did he have a white Tiger with A/C (condenser under trunk)? If so, yes I did.

I hope to buy this car through word of mouth from a member, I REALLY do not want one off of ebay.

You are welcome.

Hi Duke Welcome back to Sunbean Land. Yes! come on down to the united this year. We will be on the lookout for a good tiger for you. Best Regards Ed Esslinger ๐Ÿ˜€

quote coolcat:

Hi Duke Welcome back to Sunbean Land. Yes! come on down to the united this year. We will be on the lookout for a good tiger for you. Best Regards Ed Esslinger ๐Ÿ˜€

Hey Ed! Nice to talk again. I may be stationed at Ft Rucker again in a year, things are looking good. It may very well be my last assignment in the Army. Check your PM.

rw

Hey guys,

Sorry to change the topic here………but I have to know more about that A/C under the trunk! Please give me some details or photos!

RW

quote rw:

Hey guys,

Sorry to change the topic here………but I have to know more about that A/C under the trunk! Please give me some details or photos!

RW

From what I can remember. The car had a under the dash evaporator/blower unit with controls. The compressor was mounted to the engine, of course. The condenser was not mounted in front of the radiator though. Was a large condenser mounted under the rear of the car with long hoses connecting everything. I believe this was done due to space and cooling issues.

rw

Duke……..I wonder if that condensor used a fan, or was it just so big that it didn’t need one?

RW

quote Duke:

quote rw:

Hey guys,

RW

From what I can remember. The car had a under the dash evaporator/blower unit with controls. The compressor was mounted to the engine, of course. The condenser was not mounted in front of the radiator though. Was a large condenser mounted under the rear of the car with long hoses connecting everything. I believe this was done due to space and cooling issues.

Good morning: I bought the V8 Alpine from Ed a couple of years ago. The AC setup uses a condenser in front of the radiator as well as the under trunk condenser. The two are linked via hoses. The setup is very effective. When I asked Ed why he added the 2nd condenser under the trunk he said it was to avoid excessive head pressure. I have not tried to use the AC with the rear condenser only. It probably would work OK as long as the car was in motion. Without the motion of the car to remove the heat from the rear condenser I think the efficiency of the setup would be greatly reduced. Send me your email address and i can send you some pics.

from sunny, hot South Dakota,

Paul

’67 Series V with a 5 speed
          ’65 Series IV
          ’64 Series IV V8 conversion

TIGER AIR CONDITIONING

Just to clear things up, the large condenser under the trunk ,is the primary condenser. Most all heat is lost by it. The small condenser in front keeps the head pressure from going too high when the car is stopped and there is little or no air flow across the primary condenser. Ed.

quote coolcat:

TIGER AIR CONDITIONING

Just to clear things up, the large condenser under the trunk ,is the primary condenser. Most all heat is lost by it. The small condenser in front keeps the head pressure from going too high when the car is stopped and there is little or no air flow across the primary condenser. Ed.

Hi Ed:

Thanks for the information. I figured that was how it was set up. The AC works just fine in the V8 car. You may recall that I also installed in in my ’67 Alpine using your guidelines. That also works very well.

See you in Ohio

from sunny South Dakota
          Paul

rw

Hey Paul A,

I tried to PM you regarding any photos or any info on the Tiger AC under the trunk………here is my email address, so you can use that: rwvaught@hughes.net.

Thanks a bunch,

rw

quote rw:

Hey Paul A,

I tried to PM you regarding any photos or any info on the Tiger AC under the trunk………here is my email address, so you can use that: rwvaught@hughes.net.

Thanks a bunch,

rw

I sent you an email to the address given above.

Paul

Viewing 12 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.