Viewing 43 reply threads
  • Author

Am I the only Modified Alpine owner? I mean hay I know this club has had a “Tiger” bias for years but I am sure I have meet a few Alpine guys at events over the years and if you own a Alpine it is most likely modified or not running. HAY IS THERE ANY ONE OUT THERE? Post tell us a story say friggin something. All you TE/AE members who are Alpine owners speak up bump your gums show these Tiger boys we are part of this club too. Heck they just have modified Alpines.

I here by challenge all TE/AE Alpine owners to post even if it is just to say. “Hi my name is xxxxx and I own and an Alpine” other wise you are not supporting this club and this board.

My name is Eric and I own an Alpine…..or two. I can’t speak for the others but I started with a Tiger a long time ago and then about 20 years ago I bought my first running Alpine. What fun! Easier steering, better gas mileage, and that same great feeling driving down the road. I just bought another Alpine from the original owner and will soon be installing an OD tranny that I got from a fellow board member. With gas starting to get more expensive, this Alpine will be my mode of travel to work!
      Anyone else?

I also started with Alpines, and still have 1/2 of an Alpine (Now isn’t that modified? in the shed. Someday I hope it might become a trailer. Now isn’t that even more modified? Still recognizable as a Sunbeam though.
      Robert

Robert you using the front or rear half to make the trailer? I always thought it would be cool to graft ends of the rear fenders on a front end for a trailer.

Jim It is the rear end, the front fenders were too wrinkled.
      Robert

Hi all:

A few years back I crossed over to the dark side and modified my Series V by installing a 5 speed transmission. With the scarcity of overdrive units it was a pragmatic way to achieve the same results – lower rpms, less engine wear, slightly better gas mileage and less noise and buzziness in the car when running 75-80 mph on the interstate.

from sunny South Dakota,
      Paul A 8)

Paul the Toyota transmission set up is just slick! I do not understand why it is not done more often here in the US.

quote Jim E:

Paul the Toyota transmission set up is just slick! I do not understand why it is not done more often here in the US.

Hi Jim: Yeah, I agree. The tranny is about bullet proof. It will handle way more horsepower than the Alpine engine will ever produce. The tranny is readily available at reasonable prices all over the US. Parts, if you ever need ’em, are also readily available. And, last but not least, the 5th gear overdrive eliminates the need for switches, wiring, solenoids and the like required by the very good Alpine overdirve unit.

time to go fishing – it’s about 80 degrees today and the Alpine is going for a ride!

from sunny South Dakota,

Paul A

Is this modified enough? It’s my kid’s project.

More info at his website: http://www.toyzjunkie.com
      Click on the V-6 Sunbeam Alpine tab

hahahaah I think it qualifies just barely. That should be an interesting ride.

alpine-64
      Participant

Hello my name is Michael, I own a modified SII alpine. I have done a few things to the motor, interiro and rear suspension.. you can see more about that here… http://community.webshots.com/user/alpine_64

My father owns a SIVGT which has been converted to a softop and runs a DD weber and a skimmed head…

๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Hey Jim
        No you are not alone.(Tongue in cheek as you know what I have)
        I own 2 modified Alpines.
        How about making a LIster clone.Stuff a 351 windsor under the hood with a 5 speed pushing a 8 Inch ford rear end.Oh yes the front end has been modified using aftermarket mustang A arms,spindles,Mustang 2 rotors and calipers with Mustang rack and pinion.
        My good old 62 V6 is now going to have a hot 302, 5 speed and ford rear end.Front end has mustang spindles etc.Of course I had to add again the good old mustang rack and pinion.
        This of course is but a brief introduction to what I have done.
        I will always answer who ever wants to know more about me and the cars.
        Right now I’m finding it hard to find the time to work on it.The weekend starting today is gone as we are having some of the grandchildren over.Thats just one of the reasons its sunny all the time 8)

I have a 1962 series 2 Alpine. The car has a 1725CC plus late series overdrive transmission. My car is a RHD example. I am located in the north Dallas area.

Steve Kirk

I too prefer to improve the breed ๐Ÿ™‚

Jim E. Your challenge should humble the Tiger heads. These guys prove it really is more fun to play with an Alpine.

Mike Schreiner
        Participant

I have a modified Alpine, V8 project…302/automatic, will ad AC…….also have two orig alpines with overdrive. Mike in Jupiter, Florida ๐Ÿ˜€ :D[/url]

hello im new to the site just picked up a 66 alpine with a 76 2.8? not sure cant see the engine nos. w/o pulling off the headers ectr ect my first car was a 62 alpine this is like a dream come true until i look in the engine bay the install was a butcher job and i will be pulling the engine to clean up the engine bayect ect while the motor is out i plan on a conversion from automatic to 4 or 5 speed if i can find the correct bell housing clutch and trans any help in this area as to year make and model no would help a lot . saw the post re guarding the mustang ll front suspension this tweaked my interest was wondering what the pitfalls were if any especially need to know the mounting locations im rambling on sorry about that but one more thing cant find the proper timing setting for the 2.8 think it was a capri or bobcat thanks a lot earl form wheeling wv

quote earl:

hello im new to the site just picked up a 66 alpine with a 76 2.8? not sure cant see the engine nos. w/o pulling off the headers ectr ect my first car was a 62 alpine this is like a dream come true until i look in the engine bay the install was a butcher job and i will be pulling the engine to clean up the engine bayect ect while the motor is out i plan on a conversion from automatic to 4 or 5 speed if i can find the correct bell housing clutch and trans any help in this area as to year make and model no would help a lot . saw the post re guarding the mustang ll front suspension this tweaked my interest was wondering what the pitfalls were if any especially need to know the mounting locations im rambling on sorry about that but one more thing cant find the proper timing setting for the 2.8 think it was a capri or bobcat thanks a lot earl form wheeling wv

Earl.
          For all V6 alpines etc.check out http://www.sunbeamalpine.org
          There is lots of info as well as people who will be willing to give advice.
          As to Mustang suspension in an alpine you can email me
          Chuck

thanks chuck for the reply have been reading some of the posts and it seem to be the opinion of the v6ersthat the stock alpine suspension with the v6 is the way to go seem my imagination got ahead of my knowledge .with the v8 or other instals the mustang ll could bea good way to go

Oh yes it is a fine way to go!

8) Looks great Jim, you should be as proud! Still have to make that three rotor, though

quote tigertoms:

Jim E. Your challenge should humble the Tiger heads. These guys prove it really is more fun to play with an Alpine.

Especially if it has a hot V6 in it. :mrgreen:

Jose ๐Ÿ˜€

quote earl:

Factory specs for static timing is 12 degrees advanced.

Jose ๐Ÿ™‚

Bob and Jean Webb
          Participant

jim,
            it’s nice to see it on the road again ,but you’re on the wrong side of the car.

Umm that would be the "right" side of the car…

as a tiger owner, i feel the same way on the SAOCA board, but i suppose that is a dedicated to alpines and this is meant to be for both….

i own a tiger. recently drove an alpine for the first time and it was a blast! chalk and cheese. i’d probably own both if i was allowed ๐Ÿ™‚

re: gas milage – i’m not sure the average alpine gets any better mileage than tiger with a small 4bbl and a T5.

I bought a moonstone Series 1 in 1960 while in the Army.Sarge called it [with the top up] a"pregnant roller skate" as he drove a gigantic 1959 Lincoln convertible.Loved the way the Series 1 handled,gas was 26.9 cents,a $5 dollar bill got you $2 back..drove it across the USA in 1964 top down[no top] all the way[neither rain,sleet etc.].Traded it [wish I kept it] in 1966 for a Series 5.Still have the Series 5,repainted original forest green,running well on second engine.No modifications although the Toyota transmission is intriguing. Owned a Tiger II since 1996.Also green,engine rebuilt. In case of fire I tell my wife if you want to be sure you are saved…sit in the Alpine! Live in NYC and Eastern end of Long Island.Stop by! Frank Mooney

I just got back from the Invasion in Ohio and my Alpine ran like a champ! Not sure I believe the gas mileage numbers… and I put the gas in the car, 590 miles took 23 gallons just over 25 miles per.

By the way the S3 now has a 4.22 gear and a T5 from a 3.8 Mustang. I broke the rear end and 5.0 T5, had a 3.89 gear before, not sure if the trans broke the rear or the rear broke the trans, but it is driving fine now and the 4.22 gear really woke the car up if that is posible.

Hi Jim,

I would tend to believe that mileage, because I used to get 24+ in mine, and that was without an overdrive to help. Another good thing about these V6’s, is they do all of this on regular gas.

Jose ๐Ÿ˜€

David Kellogg-Achin
            Participant

Hi Jim:

Nice challenge.
              I own several Alpines, race one, am restoring one and also own a Tiger.

I don’t feel the bias in this club as strongly as I once did.

And I don’t feel it’s important to belong to one ‘camp’ or the other (Alpine or Tiger), particularly on a trumped-up prestige basis. That kind of thinking is very ‘old world,’ not befitting this world, particularly in these times.
              There are those who would challenge this statement, but if their basis is value, here’s a conundrum: there are, due to normal attrition and Tiger scavenging, very possibly fewer Alpines than Tigers remaining. Why, then (if this were true) is the more rare car less valued in dollars? Will this trend reverse? [I doubt it but there might one day be an increase in Alpine dollar value, not relative to the Tiger, but based on the Alpine’s merits alone, and upon its relative scarcity]

That said, it’s relevant to mention that I’ve been to a couple of meets where the Alpines were very much in the minority. Whose responsibility is that? THE ALPINE OWNERS’.

Get ’em out and show ’em off.
              That’s my two bits.

Cheers,
              David

Modified is a word of art.I still have my Series 5 stock Alpine[purchased off the showroom floor in NYC in 1966;got a 5 year 50,000 mile Chrysler warranty;traded my 1960 Series 1] but the Series 5 now has a large racing number affixed on each door saying Long Island Road Ralley 1906…dont know what that means but got it at a later 2000 era ralley[2006?] and left this "modification" on the car.Also put magnetised flames on the hood/bonnet.The car did have an engine compartment fire years ago blistering the hood somewhat so this "modification"helps hide the damage and is some form of acknowledgement to the God of fire who spared the car. I also installed a Weber 32/36 carb and put the leaking Strombergs in a box…save everything.The Series 1 and 5 Alpines were/are nice driving cars. The Tiger II is more work and a different experience.Good luck with your modified Alpine. Frank Mooney

If you want to see a modified Alpine just view the green 67 that I sold to Eric(65sunbeam) in SC a couple of years ago. My dad & I built it in 72 & I don’t believe it was beaten many times thereafter. It was autoXed until he passed away several years ago. The engine was built by me for a 66 but it met with a tree 10 minutes after I started it. My father put the engine in the green 67 & the rest is history.Weber 40’s, block decked 60 thousands, head milled 40, custom grind street cam from RC automotive, 422 gears,triple angle valve job & NUMEROUS suspension tweaks(double front sway bars cut front springs etc). Jack Swift

alpine-64
              Participant

Jack,

I have heard about the "ex-wally swift" AutooX alpine.. you got some pics or specs on the car.. everything i hear makes it out to be THE fast alpine.

There should be numerous pix in the photo sections of the past Uniteds. You’ll know the car its Dk green,w/rollbar,body on the ground, JAP mag wheels , no bumpers & an OLD man driving. Jack

I have seen the Wally Swift Alpine up close and it is a pretty cool number! The mulit shock rear end set up is something. I believe the engine is one of the factory replacement blocks if I recall correctly. Nice piece of Sunbeam history.

Ron & Linda Jones
                Participant
                  quote Paul A:

quote Jim E:

Hi Jim: Yeah, I agree. The tranny is about bullet proof. It will handle way more horsepower than the Alpine engine will ever produce. The tranny is readily available at reasonable prices all over the US. Parts, if you ever need ’em, are also readily available. And, last but not least, the 5th gear overdrive eliminates the need for switches, wiring, solenoids and the like required by the very good Alpine overdirve unit.

time to go fishing – it’s about 80 degrees today and the Alpine is going for a ride!

from sunny South Dakota,

Paul A

I’ve heard about using a Toyota 5spd tranny, but cannot find any post as to the: what, when, where, how. What are the details or where can I find the details.
                  Thanks
                  Ron

Hey Jim,

I just signed up. 2.8 V6, T5 conversion in the works. But you know that.

MikeH

Hey ther’re all Sunbeams aren’t they.

I have 3 Alpines. I have a 62 series II parts car, along with a 63 Seriers II B title picked up at the factory in England, then after spending sometime over there they had it shipped to Jersey. I also have a 63 Series II that I have owned for 4 times the first being in 1972. It’s been 2 years in the restoration with a complete frame strip down, new floor, all kinds of other new goodies. With what I have in and will till I’m done I easily could have bought a tigger, but….. The engine was bored out 30 over, changing to an alternating system, radiator recored, tiger dash and mags, redone Hardtop, wiring , exhaust, and more. It’s just about ready to be repainted and then Sports Car Haven in Bloomsburg will be puting it back togeather. I may actually make it to a gathering or 2 this year. It does seem that more people wreck Tiggers than Alpines and they keep using up Alpine bodys to fix them, so sooner or later the Alpines will rise to the top because ther’re won’t be as many Alpines as Tiggers. Besides if I wanted a race car I’d but a 69 Road Runner. Just Kidding, couldn’t afford 1. Oh and thanks to any and all that I may have bought parts from and still continue to. Mad John

Well it seems I can’t leave well enough alone.In the process of changing over to 5 bolt wheels
                  New wheels are American racing Outlaw II .Just waiting to get my axles back.

Well ,I thought I might as well add my bit to this post, I,m currently experimenting wilh different inlet manifolds & twin 40 carbs.http://dodgealpine.yolasite.com

Very nicely done. I like your sensible mods for go faster and look better.

Update to website – H/top with high level brake lights + electric turbo mods + oil seal mod, check it out! http://dodgealpine.yolasite.com/

Viewing 43 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.