Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Can someone describe the update modification from generator to alternator. I am interested in knowing if a custom alternator bracket is needed or if ford parts are used. Perhaps this is documented somewhere and I have not yet discovered it. Pictures always help.
      Thanks
      Gene

For what it is worth there is a company that makes an alternator out of a ford Generator looks great. All you need to change is a few wires! 8)

The company is Powermaster!

Hi Gene,

I am in the process of acquiring all the bits required to install an alternator system. I have got the alternator (Bosch 40Amp two wire internally regulated unit) and borrowing a Mk 2 Tiger alternator bracket from a local car club member to draw up a sketch for manufacturing. There is a guy who manufactures aluminium alternator bracket in the US, but are not cheap (US$150). I know someone who can make one for me for much less than that. If I can be of any help, please let me know. Here is the link to the manufacturer: http://www.reisentzrestorations.com/

Regards, Robin.

quote Gene:

Can someone describe the update modification from generator to alternator. I am interested in knowing if a custom alternator bracket is needed or if ford parts are used. Perhaps this is documented somewhere and I have not yet discovered it. Pictures always help.
      Thanks
      Gene

Hi Gene: I live in South Dakota and can bring my V8 conversion over for a visit if you like. My alternator is mounted on the drivers side as I have an AC compressor where the alternator is normally located. I can show you how mine is mounted and also how it is tied in to the rest of the electric system.
      Give me a call at 605 770 7788.

from Mitchell, SD

Paul

quote Paul A:

My alternator is mounted on the drivers side as I have an AC compressor where the alternator is normally located.

Can we get some pictures of that rig?

For anyone wanting to make a simple bracket that works, I used a piece of 2×1/4 inch steel, just 3 holes to drill. The mounted the alternator using a piece of steel tubing as a spacer. Its quite a rigid structure so no need for bracing etc.

Heres the pics:

quote V Mad:

For anyone wanting to make a simple bracket that works, I used a piece of 2×1/4 inch steel, just 3 holes to drill. The mounted the alternator using a piece of steel tubing as a spacer. Its quite a rigid structure so no need for bracing etc.

With all due respect, you’re going to have problems with that setup. The 15 pound (or whatever it is) cast-iron piece that comes standard on most Fords, or the piece that mounts the OEM generator, is overkill, but you do need something that has some torsional rigidity. The end of the alternator where the belt is needs to be braced to the engine, because the belt tension is working on that end of the alternator. Giving it that much leverage is going to wear out and break your upper bolt inside of 1000 miles, especially if you use the upper end of the RPM range.

The alternator is held by two brackets if you include the adjuster. When I pull the belt up hard by hand to test it, it hardly moves out of line, so there is no problem with lack of bracing. The bolt will easily be able to withstand the stress. But you could add an extra brace if you wanted to.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.