Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Ron & Linda Jones
      Participant

I’ve got the glass bowl fuel pump on my SV, w/o the primer pump. When I got it, the pump was oriented w/the glass bowl up, and I’ve reinstalled it that way. I’ve recently seen some photos where it looked like the fuel pump should be oriented w/the glass bowl down. Which is it supposed to be?
        Thanks
        Ron

alpine-64
        Participant

o idea why you would have the bowl facing down… shoudl face up.. would be interested to see the photos of the car that had it the otherway.. i would assume their pump is supside down.. which would bring out a whole bunch of issues.

Ron & Linda Jones
          Participant

Thanks, Mike. The photo I saw was not installed, just photographed glass bowl down. Sorry if it seemed to be a silly question, but on some compressors the water separator bowl is facing down. I wasn’t sure if the reasoning wasn’t the same. Having never seen a running Alpine upclose and personal, I tend to get a little paranoid about odd little things…especially since I’ve run across a few "odd little things" about this car, like the mixture of SAE and metric bolts.
            Thanks
            Ron

I’m not sure you even can mount the fuel pump upside down. The pump is operated by an arm that rides on a cam lobe which I believe is slightly offset towards the bottom of the pump mounting hole and studs. And even if you could that would put the inlet facing the front of the engine when the fuel line comes in from the back.

Ron & Linda Jones
            Participant
              quote mikephillips:

I’m not sure you even can mount the fuel pump upside down. The pump is operated by an arm that rides on a cam lobe which I believe is slightly offset towards the bottom of the pump mounting hole and studs. And even if you could that would put the inlet facing the front of the engine when the fuel line comes in from the back.

Agreed, Mike, unless it was designed to go on bowlside down. With your information, I’m sure that if one were able to mount it upside down, the motion of the cam would probably tear the pump arm off and cause all sorts of internal damage. Like I said, I got a little paranoid and needed a bit of "hand holding". 😳
              Thanks again
              Ron

Bob and Jean Webb
              Participant

keep in mind that you have no metric bolts on an alpine.at least i have never had one with metric .

Ron & Linda Jones
                Participant
                  quote 65beam:

keep in mind that you have no metric bolts on an alpine.at least i have never had one with metric .

Huh? Are you sure? When I’ve gone to the hardware store to buy new bolts I bring sample bolts w/me. Some sizes/threads matched up w/SAE and some matched w/metric, they then bolted right up, no sign of crossthreading. Even when I’m removing some bolts, some I have to use SAE sockets/wrenches and some use metric, only time I’ve ever used a 16mm socket, has been w/this car, I’ve also been using metric wrenches on the hydraulic fittings.

Bob and Jean Webb
                  Participant

get your parts book out and see if it lists any metric bolts in the list of bolts used . in 44 years of working on these cars ,i’ve never used anything metric . i’ve done several restorations in the past 25 years and used no metric bolts ,so yes i’m sure .

Ron & Linda Jones
                    Participant

Well, I can’t argue w/superior experience, I can just say what my experience has been.
                      I don’t have a parts book.

Viewing 8 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.