Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      alpine-64
      Participant

WQell i have finally done some fuel figures with the Tiger.. and wow can it drink. Now this is mostly city driving and has been warm. I fitted a quieter and more restrictive exhaust (no popping and cracking at all on lift off so its running some serious back psi and chocking it up a little) I have fitted the original filter housing with a K&N element. This is a 302 ford crate (340bhp model) with edelbrock 650, Weiand 180 deg manifold, CAT headers + balance pipe and 3.07 gears.

i did 67.6 miles (108.3kms) on 27.13 litres of fuel

so works out to:
        25L/100kms
        11.3mpg (imperial)

Think i will go for a re-jet to lean it up a little, and when the car is fully registered, put some freer flowing mufflers on it. What are you guys doing?

When running laps at PIR during track day we were using 1/2 gallon (US) per lap or about 4 mpg. On the street, with the small chokes in and leaner jets, I can get near 15 mpg if I behave myself… but often that’s difficult… and besides what’s a Tiger for?

Hey Bob,

I posted some pictures of your car on a BMW board I used to frequent before I sold my car. Many people want to know what kind of HP your engine is developing. Can you give me the figures on and off NO2?

If I did not have to cut the firewall, I would be going quad webers. They’re just beautiful on your Tiger. I think I need to find a trashed Tiger some time in the future for this reason.

Fantastic work over all.

Duke

alpine i have the same problems have the crate 302 345 hp but have the edelbrock performer intake and performer 600 carb with the old lat headers and stock tiger exaust. at a constant 2500 rpm and up on the highway i get a brief and slight hesitation about every 3 seconds was thinking it was back pressure so i uncorked the headers and still have the constant hesitations am still runing the su fuel pump and stock fuel lines to the fuel pump dont know if its fuel delivery or if my float level is a little high .when i floor it there is no hesitation on the way up except for the expected carb hesitation. just rcvd new cat headers and going into the shop for 2 in exaust system..any one have any ideas seems alpine and i have similal problems thanks earl blu oval

I’m getting about 18-20 when I behave.
        9-10 most of the time though.
        302 FI motor
        Twin Turbo’s
        No muffler’s ๐Ÿ˜†
        I’ve put about 1500 miles on the setup and have been to the track 3 times and its been running great.
        Getting itchey for the new motor( just can’t leave it alone) ๐Ÿ˜†

quote alpine_64:

WQell i have finally done some fuel figures with the Tiger.. and wow can it drink. Now this is mostly city driving and has been warm. I fitted a quieter and more restrictive exhaust (no popping and cracking at all on lift off so its running some serious back psi and chocking it up a little) I have fitted the original filter housing with a K&N element. This is a 302 ford crate (340bhp model) with edelbrock 650, Weiand 180 deg manifold, CAT headers + balance pipe and 3.07 gears.

i did 67.6 miles (108.3kms) on 27.13 litres of fuel

so works out to:
        25L/100kms
        11.3mpg (imperial)

Think i will go for a re-jet to lean it up a little, and when the car is fully registered, put some freer flowing mufflers on it. What are you guys doing?

Hi Michael,

I think you definately need to do some rejetting judging by your calculation. Is your car running rich? What size is your current exhaust system? If you lean up the mixture, you may not need to worry about changing your exhaust (that is unless it is too restrictive).

Regards, Robin.

alpine-64
        Participant

Rob,

The post you quoted was back in the first week of January.. so things have changed a long way since then. As for the figures after going through it with a few people and the type of inner city driving.. they were not far off what can be expected for the engine in it.

Since i re-jetted the carb the car is a little more economical.. though when i dynoed it it was leaning out a bit higher in the rev range. but its fine for street use.

Hi Michael,

๐Ÿ˜ณ Silly me. I did’nt look at the date, I just noticed the recent posts. Anyway, good to hear that it’s (your Tiger) much better.

Regards, Robin.

alpine-64
          Participant

Well.. i had the car out today.. some nice free running in the outer suburbs.. about 10mins on the freeway.. then a good 25mins in solid melbourne traffic… car did 22.15L and 60.9 miles… so not to far off 20L/100kms.. though filling up at 1.61 a litre still hurts!

I go tot get the alpine back on the road.. in single carb form.. with those DCOE’s its not THAT much better ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Hi Michael,

Do you have a vacuum advance? If not it would improve gas mileage and cooling.
            John Logan

Hi Michael,

Do you have a vacuum advance? If not it would improve gas mileage and cooling.
            John Logan

Viewing 10 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.