Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Chris Baker
      Participant

Just dropped the subframe on my ’66. I’ve never worked on the car. It had a full restoration ~ 2018, but needs new control arm bushings and tie rod ends at least. What’s recommended? I see SuperPro when I Google, but not sure what’s best. I know the Ackerman angle was addressed on this car, but not sure exactly what was done. I see reference to Alpine tie rod ends with the so-called “kit” rather than Tiger?

Any advice greatly appreciated. I really know almost nothing about these cars in general or this one in particular. I will also be dropping the powertrain (302+T5) to refresh seals, gaskets, etc. as it’s leaking a fair bit of coolant and oil, but none of that work is really Tiger specific.

Thanks.

Chris Baker

Sean Johnson
        Participant

I’d use either the super pro a-arm bushings of the poly ones that Sunbeam Specialties sells. The original metalastic ones are difficult to install and you can quite easily bend the control arm. I made spacer bars for the upper and lower a-arms out of 3/4″ thick solid square stock so I wouldn’t bend the a-arms when pressing in the new bushings.

The a-arm bushings have zero impact on Ackerman angles… that’s a steering issue.

Chris Baker
          Participant

Thanks. Yeah I know the bushings aren’t involved with the Ackermann angle, but in the Ackermann angle kit write-up it specifically labels Alpine tie rod ends, so wondering if there is something different about those.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.