Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Anybody know anything about the two front cross members that are on Ebay? Are they what they claim to be?

Item Numbers:

Fred Baum

Fred,

Those are Tiger crossmembers but who knows if they aer what they claim to be. The one with primer is gone for a high price.
      John logan

I saw that the primer one went for $635.00

I talked to TT and he thought the other one may not have been a Tiger unit, so I did not investigate that one further.

I’m just looking for one to rebuild without taking the existing one out of the car. The way my projects go, if I take out the existing one the car will never see the light of day again.

Thanks.

Fred

quote CLEVITE:

I saw that the primer one went for $635.00

I talked to TT and he thought the other one may not have been a Tiger unit, so I did not investigate that one further.

I’m just looking for one to rebuild without taking the existing one out of the car. The way my projects go, if I take out the existing one the car will never see the light of day again.

Thanks.

Fred

The other one was an Alpine unit. However, you should be aware that Tom Hall builds his reinforced Tiger crossmembers using Alpine crossmembers as the starting point. The reasoning is that the Alpine ones will generally have led a far easier life and are therefore more likely to be straight and crack free. When I had my crossmember out I found stress cracks partway around two of the four lower A arm pads, as well as where the rack cutouts are, and near the rack mounts themselves. Tom opens up the crossmember and then welds in reinforcement braces to keep it from sagging over time as well as reducing the stress on the known weak points.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.