Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Over 20 years ago the SUNBEAM lettering on my ’65 was removed (though at the time the look was cleaner). Now I would like to put it back on and was wondering if anyone had information on the spacing dimensions. Is it the same as the trunk so I could use the trunk lettering as a guide. Really appreciate any information you folks could supply. Really enjoy reading all the information on the Forum. Thanks in advance.

Lori and Dave Noyes
      Participant

The lettering on my ’65 is closer on the front than the back. On the back the letters are approx 2 1/2" apart while on the front they are about 1 1/2" apart.

Lori

I believe that you can see the holes from underneath the front sheetmetal-maybe you can drill out the holes from the backside if they are just bondoed over? Good luck, Eric

alpine-64
        Participant

The interesting thing about the lettering that on the back across all alpines and tigers the spacing is the same, but on the front it seems some cars had less psace between the letters and some more.. i would have thought rootes had those holes stamped during the pressing, not done after.. maybe its just peoples restos later down the line that have caused this, but why would you drill new holes?

Thanks for your ideas so far. Any one else have some specifics. Does the 1 1/2" seem to be a consistent number? Thanks again, Kevin

Bob and Jean Webb
          Participant

michael,
            i think you’ll find the nose panel is a double panel . if they have filler ,you can still find the stamping from the back.

alpine-64
            Participant
              quote 65beam:

michael,
              i think you’ll find the nose panel is a double panel . if they have filler ,you can still find the stamping from the back.

bob,

I know they are a double panel, just wondering why you see the letters sometimes in a close spacing, sometimes wider. As i said.. i really dont knwo why there would be a need to redrill them if filled, you as others suggest can find the original holes.. what i dont get is why you see different spacings on some cars.. i remember many years ago looking into a bunch of period pics to look at the difference wondering if it was a change between series… cant remeber what i concluded.. might have to look again!

Jeff Nichols
              Participant

There was also a change in the posts location on the back of the letters. I ordered a set of Sunbeam letters from Sunbeam Specialties and they did not match up with the holes in a trunk lid I had in the garage. Somewhere along the line, where the posts are located in each letter was moved.

I can feel the holes from the underside but the lack of space and angle would seem to make drilling from that position pretty difficult. Will look into that as an option though. Would anyone be willing to do a tracing (crayon/ marker) of their letter placement that I coud use as a rough guide?
                Thanks, Kevin

Viewing 8 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.