Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hi all:

I found a good rebuilt engine for my ’66 Tiger project – 289 bored 30 over with all new rings, bearings, re-ground crank, etc.

I need a flywheel for it. What is stock for the Tiger – 157 teeth? Zero balance? Any advice will be appreciated.

Progress is slow on the re-assembly of the car. At minus 10 it is just too cold to do any work out in the garage.

BTW – any of you traveling to SUNI V have a standing invitation to stop for a sandwich & home brew while traveling through. Lodging can be provided as well if necessary. I live about 2 minutes off of Interstate 90 – the route many of you will travel as you go to the event.

from sunny, cold, South Dakota

Paul

Is the block a 5 bolt or a 6 bolt 289? the flywheel will be different!

quote sunbeam2005:

Is the block a 5 bolt or a 6 bolt 289? the flywheel will be different!

Hi George:

It is a 5-bolt block.

Then it will be 157 tooth, zero balance, they are kind of hard to find, if you dont have any luck call me I can help. I just bought a new ring gear for a spare flywheel I have and it was hard to find the right one.

quote sunbeam2005:

Then it will be 157 tooth, zero balance, they are kind of hard to find, if you dont have any luck call me I can help. I just bought a new ring gear for a spare flywheel I have and it was hard to find the right one.

thanks!

from sunny, really cold South Dakota,

Paul

Would you have some reference to back up the zero balance specification? All the information I’ve ever read or heard, states that ALL 221-260-289-302 were 28 oz-in. external balance, while the 5.0 is 50 oz-in. external balance.

The reason, as I understand it, is that with stock crankshafts, there is insufficient room in the crankcase to have an internally-balanced crankshaft. If you use an ultralight competition crank and reciprocating assembly then you can get the counterweights small enough to go with zero external balance.

quote Theo:

Would you have some reference to back up the zero balance specification? All the information I’ve ever read or heard, states that ALL 221-260-289-302 were 28 oz-in. external balance,

Theo:

does the damper provide the 28 oz external balance?

thanks

Paul

Jeff Nichols
      Participant

You need both, a 28 oz flywheel and a 28 oz harmonic balancer. They both must match. In other words, do not run a 28 oz flywheel with a 50 oz balancer. 302 used the 50 oz not the 28 oz.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.