Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Richard Fritz
      Participant

I’m looking for suggestions and/or actual experiences with the re-attachment of the retainer clip on the back of the Sunbeam eyebrow.

Richard Fritz
        Participant

Here’s a jpg of the eyebrow that fits the Forum’s size requirements

Joe Jakositz
          Participant

I have had enough experience to tell you to drill a hole in the bottom of the eyebrow and use a screw to secure them.

I have drilled and then used a tap and threaded into the eyebrow and used small flathead screws to hold it in place. I have also drilled them and used pop rivets.

Richard Fritz
            Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll try tapping and screwing the retainer plate into position. I have a few damaged trim rings to practice on.
              Rich

alpine-64
              Participant

Richard,

The old pot metal isn’t great stuff… It might be worth trying some of the modern automotive body adhesive they use to attach panels. It will probably work fine and will be able to resist the twisting force of the bracket when it locates when fitting to the body.

Just a thought rather than. Having to redrill into the casting

Bob and Jean Webb
                Participant

Something I learned from another old guy not far from here is that if you use a rivet you need to use one that will not swell up and break the pot metal. Use a rivet that is smaller than the opening in the metal bracket. Eric’s way is something I’ve seen other use. No worry of whether you break the pot metal.

Viewing 6 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.