Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author

I actually drive a Tiger with a 331 Stroker Engine and about 300 to 320 DIN-PS.
      Who is driving even the same strong or stronger Tiger?
      My Drive train is original with a limited slip rear end with 2.88:1 gears.
      Did you have any problems with your drive train?
      I think the characteristic of the tiger is really another and even bader with the engine, as the car is much more nervous and it is not so funny to cruise with the car at 60 to 70 miles/hour as with the original 260er engine, you always wont to smoke tires. 😛
      In my opinion, the best engine is a well done 302er with about 220 to 240 DIN-PS. Enough power and smooth to drive.
      What do you think about?

regards
      Hans

Some is good…. more is better… and too much is just right!
      There ain’t no such thing as too much horsepower.

T-GRRR B9470168
      322 ci of Weber-carbureted, roller-cammed,
      nitrous-injected, stroked Boss-block Ford.
      Not a ride for the faint-of-heart.

My 331 puts out 355hp to the rear wheels off the NOS and 455w/NOS.
      The car still runs on pump gas and is driven at least once a week and most of the time that is driving to the race track, and running 10’s at a 130MPH what a rush.
      Plans in the work for a bigger motor over the winter and 15″ wheels with 235-60-15 M/T drag radial.
      My wife says is this a need for speed or a death wish?

Hans,

I’ll let you know about the 302. I’m building a MK1A with a 302, Edelbrock intake and 400cfm Edelbrock with a mild street cam. It’s balanced and all new inside. I may opt for a bigger carb pretty quick but it’s not meant to be a beast (now). As I’m not willing to pay for dyno time, we estimate about 240 HP. The car should be completed by August 2006. I’ll let you know how it drives then.

Guys
      The Lister has 270 HPs and 330 ft pounds of torque.That was at the flywheel on the dyno. My 302 for my 62 should be around 275 at the wheels.Do I need all that power.?Well not really but it was one of those things.The speed machine shop where I deal had this long block that happened to call out my name one day.What can I say but that I was smitten.
      It will have to wait till spring though as its taking much longer than I anticipated.That is finding real time to work on it.
      8) all that sun may have made me a bit delusional

Well, I guess it depends on what you want from your Tiger. My current drive train is all stock except for the motor. The motor is a warmed over 1965 289 HI-PO that makes around 320HP at the flywheel and puts about 250 to the rear wheels (195/50/15’s) The flywheel is light aluminum and the cam is made for high RPM power, couple that with the 2.88:1 gears and close ratio tranny and the city driving is not very nice…it is tolerable but it is not comfy smooth. The motor makes poor torque below 2200 RPM so driving below 40 MPH is a little bucky and choppy unless I keep it in a lower gear. I am currently gathering parts to install a 331 stroker and hope to make around 400 flywheel HP when finished. If you want your Tiger for simple pleasure cruising and sunburned heads, the stock 2bbl 260 is just fine, and quite easy to live with too. If you are like me more HP is better, and too much is just right. With today’s parts you can make a reliable 275-350 HP that is easy to live with and very pump gas friendly, so why not turn up the wick a little?

I am interested to know the differences between the 260 and the 289. They say the 289 is much better, but can the 260 be easily uprated, say to 200 HP? eg how much more for just a carb swap to Holley/Carter 4bbl? Then how much more for tubular headers? etc etc. Maybe the 260 heads have to be uprated with bigger valves?

quote yendisniaps:

I am interested to know the differences between the 260 and the 289. They say the 289 is much better, but can the 260 be easily uprated, say to 200 HP? eg how much more for just a carb swap to Holley/Carter 4bbl? Then how much more for tubular headers? etc etc. Maybe the 260 heads have to be uprated with bigger valves?

Yes, you certainly can make 200HP at the flywheel with a 260, and it does not take much to do it either.
      Upgrade the valve train to adjustable rockers and screw in studs so you don’t have to worry about the 5400RPM rev limiter built into the stock heads. Recurve the distributor for a quicker advance. Install a 4bbl intake and 4 bbl carb. The Autolite 4100 model carb is very good and comes in either 465 cfm or 600 cfm, but it is a used item these days. Or a Holley 570 cfm Street Avenger is another great choice. Put some headers on and you should be right at, or a little over, 200 HP when all is dialed in right.
      If you wish a different cam and some head work can be done also, but now you are really changing the motor and the finished package should be taken into consideration before buying anything. The above mentioned bolt ons (except for the screw in rocker studs) are relatively cheap and easy to do, especially if you take your time and buy used parts. Good luck.

i have a stock the stock 260 w/ orig. drivetrain. And its alot of fun to drive around town. We do it about 2 or 3x a week, if its nice. We put the top down and cruz. And get on average 5 ppl say nice car or what is that. Ohh and the other day at the gas station the cashier said, “how does a V8 fit in that?” cuz we have V8 TIGER on the plates.

im young right now. 15 to be exact. And when i get older, i plan on getting another Tiger and making that one fast as i can get it.

Mike Schreiner
      Participant

You go Joey,…..I was 16 in 1965, the Tiger was new then and my dream car, couldnt afford it of course, but I have owned four since then and one is in the garage now as well as two Alpines…..(my Dad drove a Hillman)

Well since I put the 15″ wheels on my car and the M/T tires work really great, I mentioned to another guy that has a stock Sunbeam Tiger that I was thinking of building another motor and he said to sell him my running gear. So I’m selling him motor and trans.
        I’m looking into a World Products, Man O War short block, might be as big as 377 CI and the heads I’m getting are the AFR220’s that flow like 330 on the intake and 270 on the exhaust with a 714 lift cam. The motor will be 11-1 comp. so it will still run on pump gas.
        So the need for speed is still there!!!!
        Talk to the Ford guy At Bill Mitchell’s race engine today and he told me that the motors come in a 349, and a 371 so I told him to send me a build sheet and the price, so hope the fax shows up tomorrow.
        I hope to get 700 rear HP with the 371!!!

Like I said,

quote :

Some is good… more is better…

I like your attitude… that thing is going to really kick butt. It should go a long ways towards creating a reputation for Tigers.

quote T-GRRR:

Like I said,

quote :

Some is good… more is better…

I like your attitude… that thing is going to really kick butt. It should go a long ways towards creating a reputation for Tigers.

Thanks Bob, is there any chance you can send me the specs on your hood, and what it would cost to do mine?
        Thanks JP

Jerry,
        Hood is an old fiberglass LAT style I got from CAT about 25 yrs ago. The scoop is a Harwood Z-28 that I sectioned to narrow it and modified to fit the Tigers curved hood. Tried to send you an e-mail but address was rejected. E-mail me at tgrrr@peoplepc.com

Well sold my motor and trans to another Sunbeamer guy that I’m doing some work on his car he really likes the Auto. Trans since he is 66yrs young he wants the Auto and the extra punch but no NOS. Maybe I can get it ready for him to go to the United in Oct. wish I could afford to go but spending to much money on new Motor and other parts. Ordered the motor today but will have to wait 6wks for the custom pistons to be done O well what’s another 6wks
        Ordered my new rims for the front last night will be here on wed always something to keep me broke.
        If I keep messing with this car I’ll never be able to retire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took out my 331ci and auto and put it in another Tiger. This is was car was bought new and still owned by the org. owner.
        The car sit for 10yrs and I got it running again for him. This guy is in his 60’s and said he was tired of shifting and wanted a auto. trans. So when he found out that I was going to put a new combo in my car he wanted my old motor and trans. I changed it out for him and he is really happy with the results, but wants to know who is going to pay for the speeding tickets.
        I will be getting my new motor on Wed. the 19th. a few things have changed, heads are now the victor Jr’s with cnc porting stage 3 and the cam has changed to a 688-688 with the jessel shaft mount rockers, the motor is 4.125borex3.50stroke=375ci. How much NOS????
        If everything goes good hoping to be ready for the World Ford meet in St. Louis on the 18may

Jerry,
        Will you be running a C-4 behind this one too? How much stall in the converter? What radiator do you have? Think you’ll have any problems keeping it cool? What’s your intake? Carbureted? Direct port NOS? Will it be dynoed before it goes in the car?
        That thing is going to ROCK!

quote T-GRRR:

Jerry,
        Will you be running a C-4 behind this one too? How much stall in the converter? What radiator do you have? Think you’ll have any problems keeping it cool? What’s your intake? Carbureted? Direct port NOS? Will it be dynoed before it goes in the car?
        That thing is going to ROCK!

Yes the trans will be a C-4 with a trans brake, 4000 stall, I have a griffin rad. with a pusher fan, work ok with other motor. Intake is a super victor Jr. and will have a 830 or 950 cfm holley, will run a 200 shot plate system then hope to put a fogger on after I get the bugs worked out. No I won’t dyno the motor till after its in the car.
        The motor will be p/u tommorow, can’t wait to see what it looks like.
        It really should be a good combo. Will keep you informed.
        JP

Well we finally got the car to go down the strip after hurting the trans twice, the tranny people fixed it both times for free.
        The car went 11:95 @ 116 and 10:26 @ 133 w/150 shot of NOS.
        Next step is putting more gear in the car going from a 3:55 posi, to a 3:77 with a spool, so the car will rpm better at the top end. Then we will hook up the NOS Fogger and will use a 150 shot with the NOS controller to leave the line then have the 300 shot come on in 2nd gear the car should go in the 9’80’s range here in Albq. where the Elev. is over 6000ft, so at sea level the car should run 10:90’s on motor and 9:30’s on the NOS kit.
        Now I have start looking at putting more roll bar in the car and get my super comp licenes.
        We still drive the car on the street, but not as streetable as the last motor, so we come the part when is to much. NEVERRRRRR.

Hi Forum,

A member at the club that I am a member, has nearly completed what we call his toy tiger. He already own a mint concours Mk1A Tiger, but his “toy” will be a weapon. The engine is a 340 something ci and producing a modest 350Hp (his aim), four wheel disc brakes, WRX steering rack, etc. We were hoping to see it at the National event this weekend, but it won’t be complete. Waiting eagerly to see it 😯 8) . The bloke who is building it apparently heard of a guy in the UK who has a 500Hp Tiger. Has anyone heard of this before?

Regards, Robin.

Viewing 19 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.