Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I have what I consider a very clean ’66 Alpine with only 54K miles. But the engine serial number #N392687CAL doesn’t match the chassis number (B395004581LRX). In fact it doesn’t correspond to the usual Rootes numbering system. Could this be refitted with a factory small block? And could the suffix CAL stand for California, and possibly be fitted with valves for unleaded gas? Would appreciate any clues. ❓

alpine-64
      Participant

what do you mean by factory small block?
        Is it still a rootes engine?
        Is it a 1725 or 3 main engine (does the dip stick go into the block or the sump?)
        The factory would never have offered an unleaded spec engine.

I took a closer look at the engine block, the dip stick goes into the casting just behind and aside of the oil filter. Below the exhaust manifold there are a series of numbers cast into the engine block:
        high and centered – 1724
        lower and to the front -1981100
        same level and to the rear – 318-8-66
        lower and centered – DD
        The valve cover is blank in the raised area where I’ve seen "SUNBEAM" OR "HOLBAY". Everything else seems to look correct.

The engine number you quote sounds like it may have been issued with a sunbeam that was re-registered in California after the vin plate had been removed. Or the car it came out of had a new VIN from California and the owner stamped in the matching number. If thats not it then it could be an engine out of a 68/69 Sunbeam ?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.