Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Phil Ashmore
      Participant

Anyone using Dougs kit with the early alpine master and his rod and clevis kit? I have just about had it with brake boosters. The lockheed on the car is still not right and I don’t have a 7in girling and I don’t have the correct lines for it either, and I don’t want to spend hundreds on finding a girling….easy part. Hard part rebuilding it finding or making a bracket and finding the correct lines. I have been driving the car with the CAT bypass line and the brakes are not bad at all….they are all new stuff including ss pistons and new rotors. I can put all this booster stuff in a box and save it for when I do a complete resto someday, and it would sure neaten up the under hood area. I put all the oil filter stuff, holder, lines and cooler in a box as well and use a short spin on with my CAT headers……cheers

I’m using the CAT “Underbore” master without a booster. Works well. The only installation problem was that the pushrod wouldn’t work. I had to modify it a bit.

Phil Ashmore
        Participant

Thats what Dougs kit is , an earlier alpine master with a different bore and an adjustable rod to fit the Tiger. I have had a bug eye for over 30 years now and about 20 or so ago I put the later front disc brakes on. Without changing the master it was very hard push, so had to go to a later master with a different bore. Made all the difference, and the car stops much better, esp if your autocrossing. The little front drums would overheat and get grabby after just a few hard applications. They are the same size as the rears, look like some thing off a dirt bike. They are from the old A-35…..thanks for your info…..cheers….phil

I put Doug’s smaller master cylinder on my Tiger and the only issue I have had is getting used to the increased pedal travel. Pedal pressure is still higher than when the booster was on it, but at least I don’t have to worry about the booster sucking all the brake fluid into engine leaving me with no brakes (that actually happened and is what caused me to convert).

Phil Ashmore
          Participant

Doug’s master is on, pedal travel is not huge, pressure is fine with me, not that heavy and brake feel to lock up is good. I had to enlarge the spacer between the master and firewall just a touch with a file and sandpaper. That let me use the rubber enclosed spring, and new adjustable clevis that came with it. So no spring and clip to fiddle with under the dash either. I’m happy

Viewing 4 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.