Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Gene Sokolowski
      Participant

I was wondering if anyone might know the distributor (part number) that was originally used on the MkI Tiger. I have in my box of parts a FoMoCo Z5TF 12127 C which I believe is for the MKII.

Thanks
        Gene

Gene,
        The distributor part number on my Mk1 is a FoMoCo C4OF 12127 A. According to Bob Mannel’s book on Ford small block V8’s, that distributor was used on Fairlanes, Comets and Falcons.
        Tom

Gene
        Z5TF – 12127 – C is a Mk I distributor – this is the later style distributor – there should also be a date code stamped into the aluminum.

The 1st engine group I have a listing for this distributor is the F21KA engine group. It could have been introduced earlier; I just don’t have a record of that yet.

C4OF-12127-A is the early style distributor with an oil port.

C5AF-12127-M is the MK II distributor.

Ron Fraser

Gene Sokolowski
        Participant

Thanks Tom and Ron. I guess I had some mis-information on distributor numbers.

By the way Ron, my distributor date is 4MB. Let me guess: 4 is for 1964, M is for December and B is for ? Am I close?

Thanks again guys.

Gene

4MB assembly date is the 2nd week of December 1964

Just before the F21KA engine group and similar to several of the date codes in my Engine Study for the F21KA engine group.

Ron

Gene Sokolowski
          Participant

Ron,

When I first got my Tiger project (and I mean project), I had correspondence with Norm Miller and he thought my car was probably built in late December 64 or January 65. The date information on the distributor seems to fit in that time frame.

Gene

Gene
            The date code on the parts is only part of the story. All the part date codes must pre date the engine assembly date code to be original as built parts. There is also a time lag between when the engine was built and the time it gets installed into a Tiger body. There was a lot of shipping and handling between the Cleaveland Foundry and the Jensen Plant.

My 260 engine was assembled in Jan 1965. The build date for my Tiger is Aug 1965.

I have an Original Tiger Engine Study Sheet for anyone who wants to know more about their Ford engine.

rfraser@bluefrog.com

Ron

Viewing 6 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.