Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Hi everyone, first post here.

I’m a former British car owner, that perhaps like some of you, has come to the realization that affording a ‘real’ Sunbeam Tiger or even finding a suitable dead one to resurrect are most likely never going to happen. I’ve drooled over pics of Alger conversions and and read about how much their owners enjoy driving a modernized yet still vintage looking Sunbeam so I’m going about the internet forums to find out more about it.

I’m exploring the possibility of converting an Alpine to V6 or perhaps V8 power and what that entails. I’m good with my hands, mechanically inclined and have worked on cars for a long time so the thought of bringing a dead Cat back to life or converting an Alpine doesn’t discourage me. Looks like the V6 Jose conversion is very popular and perhaps easier than going the V8 route. Hypothetically speaking, is the most inexpensive or best route to a V6 Jose conversion finding a solid but dead or drivetrain less Alpine and starting at that point? Buying that Alpine,doing my own work, which I’ll just assume will involve some bodywork, paint, interior work, and then all the mechanicals involved (needed mods, V6 Jose kit, drivetrain, ect), what would you estimate that total cost of the conversion to be nowadays?

If your planning on doing a V6 conversion, what condition Alpine should you be looking for? Thanks!

Mike

Welcome, Mike.

Last I checked the Jose kit was around $1500 or so, but that was a few years ago. You’ll need to choose an engine and gearbox, which are relatively inexpensive compared to a V8. The big advantage is that the V6 kit is much less intrusive to the body of the car. In order to shoehorn a V8 in its lots of bodywork to the tunnel and front suspension. Always buy the best donor car you can, with as few missing pieces as possible. Decent Alpine Series V donors are available… keep your eyes on craigslist.

The sky is the limit of course. Since you are doing your own work you’ve got a huge cost advantage. The standard 1725 engine is no slouch if properly tuned and prepared, but the V6 has advantages over a proper Tiger as well.

Reference this earlier post:
      https://www.teae.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1131

Here’s a newsletter article from Rootes Review by Gary Schotland:
      http://www.team.net/www/rootes/sunbeam/alpine/mk1-5/techtips/alpv6txt.html

Thank you Eric, I appreciate it.

I haven’t totally given up on finding a dead Tiger revivable, yet, but the V6 conversions I’ve seen make going that route very enticing. You mention the Series V in particular. Is the V better suited for conversion than the earlier versions?

Mike

Series 5 is just more plentiful, and most parts are generally more common. For example on my Series 3 the front suspension parts are made of Unobtainium. However, an earlier finned Alpine V6 would be very cool.

"Unobtainium", lol, like that, understood, thanks.

Unobtainium can be produced under the right conditions with the correct equipment. Some equipment needed to produce Unobtainium in small volatile quantities may include a lathe, welder, drill press, sheet metal sheer, bender. You should not need a Hadron Collider or a Flux Capacitor.

Always wear your safety goggles!
      😀

We built a pretty nice V8 Alpine some time back the cost of the drive train was 5K which included a 302,5 speed,8.8 rear axle and the drive shaft
      being a fabricator machinest for years it was a fairly easy deal , we also fabricated a complete coil over front crosmember, this car was sold several months ago and shipped to Germany. I would not hesitate to do it again but maybe look at a modern 4 cylinder motor( plenty on todays market) there’s something to be said for going your own way,so to speak.

Joel

For example on my Series 3 the front suspension parts are made of Unobtainium. However, an earlier finned Alpine V6 would be very cool.???

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.