Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I know there a few people making front ends. It looks that most are starting from scratch. Has anybody tried to just work with one of the kits from people like TCI or Heidt or maybe Art Morrison? Has anybody ever contacted one of these places about a kit for the Sunbeam?

There are two people making crossmembers Dale in Califormia and Toyz Junkie in Nevada really don’t see any one getting in on this due to the amount
      of people you might sell to which I suspect is limited, and by the way I build my own you can search the forum and find a picture, we have just built one for the 66 Tiger we’re doing.

Joel

Hi Joel

I think though that even that you and I have built our crossmember there are many who do not have the skill or equipment to do fabricating.What you have built though is something way beyond the ordinary skills most people would have.

Congratulations on the selling of your car

What have you been up to lately?

warren-g
      Participant

I will have 2 SIV Alpine crossmembers available but in Cali. If anyone is interested.

I am aware of the two sources for pre-fabricated crossmembers. Both are out of my budget. Niether seems willing to share details of their design, for fear of losing potential income, which is understandable. Are there any other sources for plans or kits for this?

Thanks in advance,
        John.

As posted before I have built my own crossmenbers, and you are right they are not cheap to buy or cheap to build ,I’ve had several inquires about mine as to price most people pass when finding out the cost! and your also right about sharing they didn’t for me so……. I just figured it out for myself.

Joel

0neoffive
        Participant
          quote the_tool_man:

I am aware of the two sources for pre-fabricated crossmembers. Both are out of my budget. Niether seems willing to share details of their design, for fear of losing potential income, which is understandable. Are there any other sources for plans or kits for this?

Thanks in advance,
          John.

Unless you are going flat out road racing, a well done and re-enforced original will last another 40 years for normal driving ($700 – $950 ish). With the use of MG arms, you can correct the ackermann dangle a few %age points for good measure. Whereas if you do intend to push the car thru turns, you DO NOT want a do-it-yourself kit for both your safety and anyone else near you on the road. I work with 7 long-time experience fabricator/welders, but only one of them will I let touch suspension steel.

Stock crossmembers are a waste of time (in my opinion) I’ve been the MG Midget Rack MG steering arm route and was not really satisified with the result
          probably the reason I decided to design/fabricate my own. and I’ve been a fabricator for many years on a lot of stuff that go’s very fast I;m pretty confident in what I do !

quote jkgriffs:

Stock crossmembers are a waste of time (in my opinion) I’ve been the MG Midget Rack MG steering arm route and was not really satisified with the result

Joel:

What was unsatisfying about the Midget Rack solution. Care to elaborate?

Regards,
          John.

We ended up with a ratio of 1.9 turns lock to lock, the car was not easy to drive,the more turns lock to lock the easier to drive plus the steering was still heavy at low speed and you still have the trailing track rod deal, for us nothing changed except the ratio, so we built a crossmember of our own design
          and by the way the MG steering arms are not the same bolt centers as the Tiger, we have a 66 Tiger now that we built another crossmember for using a
          3.5 turn lock to lock rack, the end result of the Midget deal was for the work envolved the results were not much better than stock!

Viewing 9 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.