Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Bob and Jean Webb
      Participant

I have a question for members. The guide lines for cars in stock class say that the paint should have "orange peel" and chrome should have scratches and grinding marks in order to be stock. High luster paint and quality chrome plating are "deviations from stock" and points will be deducted. My question is how many of you that have restored a car or multiple cars over the years would spend the money required to do a restoration and allow a shop to do poor quality work and actually pay the current price to get lousy work done. We’ve had a Sunbeam in restoration at quality shops every year since 1994 and we don’t restore the cars for making a profit from the restorations. We collect with the cars. It seems many Tiger owners are sending their cars thru the auctions, dealers, magazines, BAT or whatever hoping to make a good profit but would a restored car with poor quality work sell? What kind of owner would actually pay to have cheap, lousy work done by a quality shop if you want it to be a top dollar car? A quality shop would tell you they wouldn’t do it for various reasons with their reputation being a top priority. What is the reason the officers and board have come up with an idea like this?

I have not read the guide lines for cars in stock class as I am not interested in competing. But I will share my thoughts. The cars when new had orange peal and the trim was not highly polished. The baseline for a stock class should be like new. Points should be deducted if you are not as good as new and points should be deducted if you are better than new.

Bob and Jean Webb
        Participant

Tom,
          There’s the problem. Your car was in the same shop when mine was and the body work was done by the same person and painted by the same person using paint that was mixed at the same time for use on both cars. My car came out with no orange peel but the problem I see with saying he should have done lousy work is that he wouldn’t do shoddy work. I’ve never seen a car that came out of Scott woerth’s shop that had sub standard work but his restos were like Dale’s work. I didn’t see this type of work on Dale’s car. I’ve spent countless hours doing detail work that many never notice and to tell someone they have to do sub standard work is wrong and would only be done by people that just don’t care or take no pride in what they do.

James Lindner
          Keymaster

Hi All

The following quote is from he newly drafted concours rules. A copy of the draft is posted on the website and can be reached using the link published in the past two issues of the Rootes Review. These rules will go to the Board for approval at the semi-annual board meeting in a couple weeks.

Paint: Stock appearance should represent the original color of the car as manufactured and although original patina is noteworthy, the type of paint or method of painting (single stage/double stage) resulting in a higher luster shall not be penalized.

I am sure that will please some…others not so much.

Jim

Bob and Jean Webb
            Participant

That’s not what is printed when you click on the word" concours" on the home page. That’s my reason for making my original comments. THOSE ARE THE FACTS .

James Lindner
              Keymaster

Bob

You are correct. The rules listed on the website under Concours does talk about deductions for perfect paint etc. Those are the current rules that have been effect for years.

I am talking about the proposed DRAFT rules which we will present to the board in a couple of weeks. We have been working on these rules for the past year along with some of the other clubs.

If you go to the electrical copy of your January Rootes Review, Page 2 you will see a link. Click on it and it will take you to the Draft.

Jim

Bob and Jean Webb
                Participant

I opened the news letter by going thru the members section. When I click on that link it doesn’t open.

James Lindner
                  Keymaster

Sorry about that. I know the website is right in the middle of a rebuild so some of the content is not working. Check your email.

Jim

Viewing 7 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.