Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

I’m attempting a complete resto on a 65 Tiger. The car was originally moonstone white and nicely painted carnival red. I will be removing all trim and interior and replacing a few pieces of metal on the body, and repainting the the whole car. I want to paint it yellow.
      Most of these cars have been repainted by now ( or need to be ), so original paint is pretty rare and not an option in this case.
      I’m just curious what you all think.

Put it back to white or change the color to one I like?

OldHiFi

If you want it yellow, paint it yellow. It’s your car to do with what you want.
      John Logan Sr.

This color query reminds me of a discussion I had years ago with a customer who sought my suggestion on the color to paint his Tiger. I wasn’t about to suggest a color so after a lengthy discussion on factors to consider regarding color choices, the customer came up with his own rationale. His rationale was that, the shape and profile of the Alpine/Tiger lacks the visual lines of say a Jag, or Healy, or Vette so it “SCREAMS COLOR”. The car has to have a vivid color. You can probably guess what color he painted it.

So if yellow is your choice…..make it SCREAM.

Absolutely. Make it yours and make it scream. For my money, the only reason to reproduce the original color is if you are going to build a 100 point original car for big time shows. Of course, you would then be afraid to drive it. Some day, hopefully many years down the road, the next owner can paint it the original color. The only rule I am following is to not do anything to alter the sheet metal. The paint is Mazda Merlot Mica and it screams. The engine is Daytona Yellow in a black engine bay. It screams, too.

stu

About the only guideline I used when selecting a color for my Tiger was that I wanted it to look like something that could have been a period correct color, even if it wasn’t. Mine was originally one of the “dung” variations of 86 green, but it was multicolored when I got it, none of them green, as a result of the PO’s uncompleted restoration. I thought it would look good in green, so I just picked a nice shade out of the sample book, and went with that. No metallics or anything fancy.

That’s just me of course. Since then I’ve seen many Sunbeams in non standard, modern colors that look great. Deep red metallics, a subtle beige-yellow sort of blend, black with bold stripes, and a screaming yellow one from CA (Foster?) that I voted for as my favorite at SUNI 1. Today, I might select something totally different.

Some coucours competitions deduct for departures from original color for “stock” classes, so keep that in mind if that’s what you’re aiming at. Other than that, just look at as many Sunbeams as you can, and see what you like and dislike. Then pick something YOU like.

Stu

When I had a choice, I picked yellow for a midnight blue Alpine that had been 86 green originally. I never regretted it. When my bodywork got ratty, I picked another yellow. This time I did not go subtle and I picked the yellow toner off the shelf, nothing else in it. Bugs try real hard to pollinate this Alpine!

My current project has been started in 86 green, its original colour. The previous owner chickened out when he saw the car out of the paint booth. The insides were masked off and the exterior of the shell was painted with a modified 86 green with more blue in it. My wife who dislikes all green cars likes it.

If I had a choice I would pick a burnt orange this time.

Cheers, Gilles

I don’t know if he is still there or still has the car, but there was a fellow in Norfolk, Va, Dave Reilley, who had a Candy Burnt Orange Alpine and it was beautiful. At one time I had his hardtop on my white MKII and the look was darn near perfect.

I had a 1960 Series 1 Alpine that was Moonstone.To me it was white and I had no idea why the Moonstone designation.Then one December day there were some snow flurries and the white of the snow was a different color from the color of the car…which now appeared with a faint green tint.It was very subtle and to my eye quite beautiful.So I’d vote for Moonstone…yellow,reds etc.are all too common but Moonstone is rather unique. frank mooney PS I traded the Series ! for a British Racing Green [which I believe Rootes termed Forest Green]Series 5 in 1966…which I drove over 400 miles to United 25. frank mooney

Mike Schreiner
        Participant

I am in process of painting my Alpine (met blue) , and have another Alpine and an Alger awaiting paint. I think a bright color not only looks good, but keeps someone from pulling out in front of you because they didn’t see you. I recently had an 80ish old man do just that from a side street and I was in a faded silver car that blended in with the pavement. I was headed right for his driver door, but somehow managed to miss him. Mike

My Tiger was original darkblue. This was not the color I wanted to have.
          The Tiger should be a funny car, so please not a dark blue.
          The only think I was looking for was to take a color from the age of the car (or near the age).
          So I took a Ford US Color from the early 70. It is called diamondyellow and it is a mix from yellow and orange.
          I am still happy with the color and would it do everytime again.
          Of course my car is by far not a concours original car (331 and so on ๐Ÿ˜€ )

regards
          Hans

Viewing 9 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.