Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike Schreiner
      Participant

I am thinking of installing a Capri V6 into an Alpine. Is there any write ups on this conversion? Anyone know of a source for exhaust headers that will work? Mike

there’s a kit that makes it easy and includes headers but they are unavailable at present. get in touch with v6 jose or jim e on the saoca forum.

Mike Schreiner
        Participant

I will email Jose…but I have alot of trouble logging on to SCOA website, I once was a member, then they changed their website and it would no longer take my ID, repeated emails were unanswered, when membership lapsed, no email or reminder to reup…I recently tried to sign up to participate in forum…no luck…go figure…I guess I give up..Mike Schreiner

quote mikeflbmer:

I will email Jose…but I have alot of trouble logging on to SCOA website, I once was a member, then they changed their website and it would no longer take my ID, repeated emails were unanswered, when membership lapsed, no email or reminder to reup…I recently tried to sign up to participate in forum…no luck…go figure…I guess I give up..Mike Schreiner

Hi Mike,

The 2.6 V6 that you E-mailed me about, was a good engine, but unless it has been just recently rebuilt, or a low mileage good running engine, I would suggest not using it. The 2.6 V6 parts are very hard to find and are very expensive when you do find them.

The kit I manufacture for installing the 2.8 V6 will not fit the 2.6 V6 at all. Ford saw fit to change almost everything on the engine, when they designed the 2.8 V6. Not even the motor mount locations are the same. The headers shouldn’t be very difficult to have fabricated, since there are just two pipes per side to accommodate in the limited space available in the Alpine engine compartment.

The one thing I would suggest, if you decide to go with the 2.6 V6 anyway, is to ditch the Capri four speed. It is not a particularly strong transmission, plus the shifting rods and grommets are worn out by now, and the transmission is a pain to shift because of it. The bellhousing is made from cast iron and is heavy. The starter that it requires, is a Bosch unit that is pretty expensive to replace too. Last time I looked, they were in the neighborhood of $135 rebuilt, and that was about ten years ago. I would suggest going with a 1996 and later Mustang T5, from behind the 3.8 V6. It will shift infinitely better, plus will last forever. You will still need the bellhousing, pressure plate and starter from a Mustang II with the four speed transmission, but it is definitely worth the effort to find. I have had many guys swap out their Capri transmission, and put in a T5, with great results.

The other thing about the 2.6 V6 that I don’t particularly like, is that it is smaller in displacement, and the heads don’t breath as good as the 2.8’s, so will not produce the kind of power the 2.8 V6 is capable of.

Jose 🙁

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.