Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I am interested in replacing the stock Ford cam with one that will enhance street performance. I have looked at specs for several different cams from several different makers. I talked this morning with a tech rep from Edelbrock who was familiar with the Tiger, liked the Tiger and had worked previously with Tiger owners to help them configure their intake manifold and camshaft configuration. By the way, he indicated the Edelbrock F4B is still a very good manifold choice for the small block Ford engine. I got two suggestions from him for Edelbrock cams, but I’d like to know what some of the rest of you are running.

So – all that said, I thought I’d get some feedback from all you Tiger experts on the non-stock cams that you are using. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

from sunny, beautiful South Dakota,

Paul

I’ve been running a Crower grind number 285R solid-lifter roller-tappet for about 15 yrs. Adv duration int/exh 285/292 … duration at .050 254/260 … lift .597/.578 … 106 deg lobe separation. Makes great power even at low rpm all the way past 7500. Will idle down to 900 rpm but that’s with individual runner induction. Used with Comp Cams Pro Magnum roller rockers on iron headed 322 cu in stroker.

quote T-GRRR:

I’ve been running a Crower grind number 285R solid-lifter roller-tappet for about 15 yrs. Adv duration int/exh 285/292 … duration at .050 254/260 … lift .597/.578 … 106 deg lobe separation. Makes great power even at low rpm all the way past 7500. Will idle down to 900 rpm but that’s with individual runner induction. Used with Comp Cams Pro Magnum roller rockers on iron headed 322 cu in stroker.

Wow – thanks for all the info. Here is what I am likely going to use, based on the Edelbrock reps suggestion. As I said in the earlier post, he knows the Tigers and has helped other tiger owners in the past.

Edelbrock EDL 5022 214/224 duration @ .050 .472.,496 lift
      Power range from 2500-6500 a bit of a rough idle

An alternative would be the Summit 3601. Power range from 2000-4500
      218/228 duration .471/.471 lift. A bit milder cam and a lot milder price.

Give some more info about the engine-what heads,headers,cubic inch,compression,rear end gears. The engine should be designed as a package of parts that will work together. My last engine in the Tiger used an Edelbrock Rpm cam,race ported 351 heads,weiand x-celerator,10.3 to 1 compression,3.54 gears. Easy on the street, and still ran 12.52 in the 1/4 mile.

thanks for the responses. For better, I hope, or worse, I decided to go with the Ford Racing Products FMS-M-6250-A312 cam. It is very similar in specs to the Edelbrock Torquer Plus cam I looked at, but was available as cam only.

The engine is a 302 block, .30 over pistons, stock reconditioned heads, Edelbrock F4B manifold and Holley 500 cfm carb. Compression should be in the 9.0 area. I have a Ford C4 auto tranny and the stock rear end. Next items to address are headers – SS has them on back order – and exhaust.

The car won’t be used on a drag strip – unless you think of Interstate 90 with its 75 mph speed limit as a 400 mile long drag strip. I just wanted to enhance the performance a bit.
      This package when completed with the upgraded exhaust should give a nice performance boost. Typical cruising speeds on I-90 are in the 85mph to 90 mph range with an occasional BMW or Mercedes wanting to go faster than that. The Tiger should easily be able to run with them.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.