Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Has anyone used a set of Calvert Racing, CalTracs traction bars on their tiger? I would be interested in hearing about the experience before I order a set.

The product information can be viewed at:

http://www.calvertracing.com/caltracs.html

Thanks

Not familiar with them. Been too removed from performance items these days. The bell crank approach for load transfer is an interesting approach for dynamic loading of the chassis. One thing I can say with certainty, better reinforce the front spring perch area where the rocker, cross member and wheel arch frame pieces converge. If you don’t you will have more to worry about than rotating axles.

I’ve got a copy of the caltracs that were made by a shop in Fl. The only problem I’ve had was with the stock leaf springs it broke both sides at the front eye of the springs. Since I replaced both leaf springs have’nt had a problem so far but I check that whole area often.
      The system really works on my car as far as drag racing it really hooks with being able to pre-load the suspension.

Thanks TT and TTT for the insights.
      I will not be drag racing the tiger so in retrospect I can probably get by with a new replacement set of the traction masters (for that occasional stop light action).
      I had removed the old traction master perches. The box metal below had been stress cracked. I removed, repaired and reinforced the x-frame box and the spring perch area/extension. I do not have the knowledge to successfully attach or post pictures here or I would, to see if you had any additional suggestions for improvement in that area.
      And of course, I am open to any other alterntive methods of addressing traction improvement.
      Thanks
      Gene

alpine-64
      Participant
        quote Gene:

Thanks TT and TTT for the insights.
        I will not be drag racing the tiger so in retrospect I can probably get by with a new replacement set of the traction masters (for that occasional stop light action).
        I had removed the old traction master perches. The box metal below had been stress cracked. I removed, repaired and reinforced the x-frame box and the spring perch area/extension. I do not have the knowledge to successfully attach or post pictures here or I would, to see if you had any additional suggestions for improvement in that area.
        And of course, I am open to any other alterntive methods of addressing traction improvement.
        Thanks
        Gene

i am assuming you had the weld on traction masters… why not order a set of bolt ons? They will not stress anything and are available new from traction master ($175 i think.. do not buy off the guy onselling them on ebay)

Another option is the Dan Walters torque arm

Michael,

Yes I had the weld on traction masters. Where do the fronts of the bolt on traction masters bolt to? I don’t seem to be able to conceptualize it.

Thanks
        Gene

alpine-64
        Participant

Gene,

the front bolts onto the spring.. they are actually more effective than the weld ons.. and are also an original LAT option, they were bolt or weld on.

Here is a link:
          http://tractionmaster.com/

Here are some i had made (mine are sleeved so they dont bind like the originals).

Hi,

I had a look at the traction master site and for US$130, it seems good value. No more paying twice the price for LAT traction bars ๐Ÿ˜‰ . By the way Michael, your traction bars look pretty good with the sleeves.

Regards, Robin.

Some good information here:

http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com/Traction.html

Viewing 8 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.