Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

My forum search skills are evidently lacking, but I can’t find any description or diagram anywhere for removing or installing the thin strip and Tiger from the door and fenders. Does it just pop off and on or is it a one-time assembly and you have to replace it it you remove it? Some of the literature makes it read like there is a ‘clip’ but I can’t see any on the inner fender, probably due to decades of accumulated dirt.

I stripped my trim off this summer (MK1A) and don’t remember any nuts, bolts, or screws. I slipped a wide blade putty knife behind the chrome and gave it a little "pry". DISCLAIMER: I was not concerned with damaging the paint. My car has what I think are the original mounting hardware. They look like raised head pop rivets and I have reinstalled (snap-on) and re-removed the trim again since the initial removal with no trouble. I also have a couple spare Tiger doors(MK1) that have plastic trim retainers which are about 1/2 " long but they didn’t come with the chrome trim so I don’t know how well they work. Bob

Have a look at the Sunbeam Specialties website catalog under exterior trim. There are drawings/pics of the various clips.

Gene

quote Me&MyTiger:

Have a look at the Sunbeam Specialties website catalog under exterior trim. There are drawings/pics of the various clips.

Well, yes, of course I’d looked at that prior to posting, but these sorts of diagrams are generally only helpful to me if I already know what I’m looking at or looking for and as a newbie for this vehicle, I’ve no idea whatsoever. I’m happy to experiment with my car, I’m just surprised if I’m the first one to ever remove the trim. No worries about the paint, it’s awful and needs to be removed in any case. Sounds like it may be OK just to try and pop the trim off with a panel tool or thin putty knife and that the original retention method may be reusable but if not then some aftermarket plastic clips are available to perform the function?

A thin putty knife works great and work slowly to avoid bending the stainless trim – try to preserve the original rivets that hold the trim in place as they work better than the plastic replacements in my opinion! Eric

Thanks, and I found a reference after all, it only needs a couple pictures or diagrams to make it clear what those retaining clips look like in cross-section: https://www.teae.org/cars/chrome-side-molding-replacement/

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.