Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      James Lindner
      Keymaster

Hello all,

Does anybody know of a place (commercial or private) in the VA/MD/DC/southern PA that can bubble balance wheels.

My new LAT 9 wheels had new tires mounted this morning. Unfortunately, the place that mounted them cannot balance them. (Yes, I did ask beforehand and showed them wheel but that changed when it was time for the “rubber to meet the road” pun intended)

As you may know, LAT 9s do not have a removable center cap for the hub hole. The wheel is all one piece. So they will not fit on modern balancing machines. Nobody seems to bubble balance wheels anymore.

I know of one place that will balance them on the car, but that causes all sorts of logistical problems since I really do not want to drive an hour on unbalanced wheels.

Let me know.

Thanks

Jim

alpine-64
        Participant

Jim,

I would suggest contacting a place that can do splined wire wheels , those guys will balance them on the car and can’t use the typical modern balance equipment.

Contact MWS or Dayton wheels and ask who they recommend in your area

Bob and Jean Webb
          Participant

Jim,
            All the bubble balancers I’ve ever seen require the wheels setting down over the cone with the bubble that works like on a construction level. Without the center opening of the wheel there isn’t a way to set the wheel on the balancer. Your best bet is to find someone that has the old style balancer where they spin the wheel while on the car.

Jim – Hi, I too have recently purchased a set of LAT 9 wheels and have been pondering the balancing issue. It occurred to me that other European cars use solid-center wheels, and a Google search turns up many UK-based forums for cars such as Citroens. One posting had a link to a YouTube video which showed the use of an adapter on the balancing machine that allowed the wheel to be bolted to it using the lug nut holes.

It got me thinking that there might be a local Citroen owner that could point you to someone having such an adapter who would be capable of balancing solid-center wheels. There are a few Citroen 2CVs in my area – I’m going to keep my eyes open at the local car shows this summer for the owners and ask them about their wheels and tires and how they were balanced. I’ll let you know what I discover.

Gary

James Lindner
            Keymaster

Gary

Thanks. I found a place. They have an old school tech who balances them on the car. Unfortunately, he only works two days a week. Hope to get in next week. Will keep all posted.

Jim

James Lindner
              Keymaster

Okay, had my LAT 9 wheels balanced yesterday. Place that did it was Radial Tire in Silver Spring, MD. The drive up was a little bit more wobbly than I expected, but I kept the speed down and made it without any disasters.

Paul at Radial Tire can spin balances the wheels right on the car. See photo. A machine spins the wheel and he adds, subtracts and moves the weights around until he gets it right. How does he know…lightly touches the fender while the wheel is spinning. When no more vibration…success. Onto the next tire. The back wheels are balanced on the front and then moved to the rear. I was a little concerned about this, but when you think of it, not much difference than spinning the wheel on a balance machine and then moving the wheel to the car.

The drive home was smooth as silk…other than my brake master starting to fail.

Jim

Jim glad to hear that the new wheels and balancing has been socessful

Viewing 6 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.