Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Hi Everybody!
      After searching the universe I finally found the elusive AMC T5
      with the correct #’s. Every once in a while a blind pig finds an acorn!
      Anyways, I’m having trouble figuring out how to convert the
      speedometer cable to the Tiger. I’d like to use this tailpiece because
      I don’t want to cut the car. It’s a MKII.

Thank you my friends,
      Bill Rosenbusch

alpine-64
      Participant

Bill,

For those of us not in the know, is this a 5 speed conversion that bolts up and doesnt require a different shifter location? does it require modified tunnel or bell housing?

Hello!
        If you go to Tigers United.com’s website you will find an article on
        using the AMC T5 tailpiece (which is HARD to find!) that will put the shifter
        in the existing hole without cutting or modifiying anything. There are ways to install a Mustang T5 or Tremec 5 speed but this involves cutting the X
        member of the frame, removing the ashtray and cutting about 2" off of the center console. If I owned a MK1 or a MKIA the cutting would’nt
        matter that much. I own a MK2 and I would like to keep things the way they are. Dale at dalesresto.com can help you out and I understand
        that Tom Hall at modtiger.com has engineered his own tailpiece kit
        which includes everything (tailpiece, transmission mount,detailed
        instructions,etc.) at around $2200.00. Without cutting!
        Good Day!
        Bill

alpine-64
        Participant

Thanks Bill,

Interesting info. I remember seeing a kit on ebay a year or so back, someone had done a run of 5 speed conversions for a Tiger that had bellhousing etc that allowed a T5 mounted through original holes and no mods.. they sold for big $.

I spoke to someone here in AU who had bought a kit from the USA with a modified Chev bellhousing that popped the tranny out the right spot, not sure about if there was other surgery involved.

All this is just good info for the moment.. all things going well i pick up my tiger today.. almost 6 months after buying it!

That was a long wait for your Tiger Michael!
          Please post some photos and your driving impressions when you finally get to drive it-congratulations!
          Eric

quote alpine_64:

Thanks Bill,

Interesting info. I remember seeing a kit on ebay a year or so back, someone had done a run of 5 speed conversions for a Tiger that had bellhousing etc that allowed a T5 mounted through original holes and no mods.. they sold for big $.

I spoke to someone here in AU who had bought a kit from the USA with a modified Chev bellhousing that popped the tranny out the right spot, not sure about if there was other surgery involved.

All this is just good info for the moment.. all things going well i pick up my tiger today.. almost 6 months after buying it!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! YIPEEEE!! HIP HIP HURRAH!!

Can you tell I’m happy for you??

Jose :mrgreen:

I bought the 5 speed conversion kit from Tom Hall and installed it to the correct transmission/bell housing. Transmission with all new gears cost me $750 and the bell housing with fork, boot and spring clip, I found on eBay. Everything bolted up nicely and sure enough the shifter pops through in the correct spot. I found Tom to be very helpful. His upgrades are built to last. Bruce

Viewing 6 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.