Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Donald Bell
      Participant

I took a chance and bought four sets of hinge Pins from Alpine West Midlands to replace rusted/worn pins on my POR ’65 Mk I and ultimately my MK II. These pins (two short, one long) are split lengthways and did not come with any "buffering" washers. They appear to be the correct diameter. The split may aid lubrication, but what are they for if not late Alpines and Tigers? Has anybody had experience using these pins? Are there any alternatives? Two hinges have had 1/16" penetrating holes drilled into the hinge boss – probably an attempt to get lube into pin(??) E-mail me at don@dbellcpa.com or call (206)546-2345 – love to talk, sometimes about cars other than Sunbeams!

The best thing I have done was find a good machine shop and have pins made and installed works every time! 8)

Donald Bell
        Participant

My son-in-law does machining for Space X, Boeing and the like; we are going to press the old pins out and test the pins I got from Alpines West. Their diameter is just a couple of thous’ bigger than the stub end of one of the hinge pins from a 2005 Tiger. I suspect that the pins I got will "fold" into the opening when pressed in due to their longitudinal slot. I’ll update info

Viewing 2 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.