Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
      66tigermk1a
      Participant

While waiting for the sun to shine again up here in the Great White North, I raided the parts bin and put this together from an old Hillman speedo and an Alpine tach…

http://groups.msn.com/431HeronPlace/sho … PhotoID=88

With a little more touch up… and a steady hand on that rear adjustment screw, it just might work…! lol

Awesome! If you seriously want that to work, my tach board can be calibrated in that range… at least then you can use the output from a MSD controller to run the tach with no funny boxes in between.

Another option is to try and find the LAT 7000 rpm tacho, which by the Book of Norman is the same as the MG tacho. I don’t think many Tiger’s will revs to 8 or 9000 rpm (or is that a challenge).

Regards, Robin.

alpine-64
        Participant

This is a Tach that i have seen in a few TIGER race cars, not sure where their origins are, but either rootes, or someone since has made them. Its the same one i see in the HSC car in the recent picture spread. Perhaps an LAT 22?

Hi Michael,

The LAT 22 tacho was the one that I was talking about from the BON, which only went to 7000 rpm. Do you know the origin of the pictures you posted? They look nice and don’t have the ignition light in it either. Don’t tell me that your crate motor runs up to those kind of rpm’s ๐Ÿ˜‰ .

Regards, Robin.

alpine-64
          Participant

Rob,

The origins of those pictures are my bedroom, i own the tach. It came wth my car. As you know it currently has autometer gauges in it, however i also go tthe original gauges. This tach came out of a Tiger racer. As for revving to 8K… well the tach in my car currently goes to 10.. though i have only made it half way round the dial.. an that was plenty fast enough ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi,

I have been surfing the web to try and find some links to the 7000 rpm tacho. I found this link to a UK site selling one which is labeled for a 4 cyl. positive earth car (not cheap either). It could be recalibrated for a Tiger and looks very similar to the LAT-22 option (minus the 4 cyl. part of course). Here is the link:

http://www.castaldini.co.uk/cars.shtml

Regards, Robin

quote gtsmrt:

Hi,

I have been surfing the web to try and find some links to the 7000 rpm tacho. I found this link to a UK site selling one which is labeled for a 4 cyl. positive earth car (not cheap either). It could be recalibrated for a Tiger and looks very similar to the LAT-22 option (minus the 4 cyl. part of course).

Just buy a MGB tach off of ebay and recalibrate it. Too easy and way less moola. It is also very close to the LAT 22.

MGB Tach –

LAT 22 Tach –

66tigermk1a
            Participant

Well…firstly the fact that my ‘cobbled up’ 9k tach reads higher than my new 5.0 roller would dare to go ( max h.p @5800 ) isn’t really important as almost every car I’ve ever owned would rarely peg the speedo or tach in ‘top ‘ …( oops … except my 928 with the ‘chip’ in..but don’t tell the wife,,,I swear I wasn’t over 165 officer… lol! ) …but I digress… I was just playin’ and I thought it looked cool…and actually MATCHED!
              That 8k unit that Michael has is VERY cool…and also matches the factory Jaegers…Is it for sale….???

I think that LAT 22 option is one of the biggest jokes in the LAT option book…! It’s identical to the one in my wife’s ’66 Sprite..
              The Ad says ‘Matches Sunbeam Tiger Instrumentation’ Huh? the bezel doesn’t match, the lettering doesn’t match and the needle doesn’t match !! oh…I know… it’s 4" just like the speedo..that must be it…!

alpine-64
              Participant

66TigerMKIA (name?)

I am sure there are some of these tachs floating around as i have seen them in a few Tiger racers, am sure they are not easy to find but are out there. How are you producing the gauges you have done (you are also posting some other gauge mods on the SAOCA forum?) Are they silk screen printing on the face or are you making stickers? Drop me a PM with your email address and we can have a chat, i can certainly get you some acurate digital files of the gauge face if you wanted.

regards

michael

66tigermk1a
                Participant

I have nothing to do with the postings on SAOCA but am a member there and just had a look… interesting stuff he’s doing.
                  Funny, I also needed to make up dash/heater lettering a couple years ago and worked for quite a long time to get it just right and in fact had several rub transfer sheets made. I ended up making several new dashes and the letters look great.
                  The tach in my above picture is indeed ‘cobbled’ as I just placed part of an Alpine tach ‘over’ the Hillman speedo face… ‘metal on metal’ lol Now, I think I will look into doing it all on the same background with decals/ rub-on letters. I do think either 7k or 8k would be more appropriate…
                  It’s sort of on the back burner for now as the ‘Mustanganization’ of my Tiger continues… I’m sorting the last bits of grafting a AMC tailhousing on my Ford Motorsport t-5 to replace the toploader…

Love to chat… on anything ‘Tiger’ … jim@island.net

Jim
                  B382000446

’66 MK1A Tiger
                  ’66 A-H Sprite 5 spd.
                  ’87 Porsche 928S4

I am making custom rub down lettering for a number of gauges if anyone is interested, and if I can be of service please contact me.

Here is an example of an AC Delco Vacuum gauge turned into a Jaeger looking gauge…

Forgive the picture quality, my camera doesn’t do well at this close of range, next to my original gauges this one looks just as good if not better.

I am also changing a Sun Volt gauge…and an Autometer clock…the artwork is still being finalized….

I also threw in an example of a white faced gauge with black numbers…i would love to see a whole set of gauges done in white (or maybe body color?)

Also in the works…7K tach…

Heater panel lettering…

The sky is the limit…wood dash lettering…custom gauge lettering…metal tags…VIN lettering…contact me and we can talk.

I will be making up a batch of stuff…I have some people from the SAOCA website interested and plan on auctioning a few things on Ebay to offset my cost. I don’t plan on doing a lot of this though.

Paul

Paul-

Rather than the expense and inconvenience of eBay, why not advertise in our "For Sale" section of the forum and also in the newsletter?

Could you do a Stewart-Warner vacuum gauge the same way? I have one in my dash clock hole. I had to open the hole to get the gauge to fit, so a regular size Jaeger gauge or Smith’s clock no longer fit.

Fred Baum

Good idea Fred…I will come up with something for the For Sale Section here…

For a Stewart-Warner vacuum gauge…it probably could be done…some of it depends on taking it apart…a picture would be good.

Paul

i’d be interested in the heater panel lettering. please let me know when you have them available.

thanks.

– owain.

Can we get heater control lettering that has "COLD–DAMP–LUKEWARM" on the left and "OFF–DRAFT–MIST" on the right?

Or, as an alternative, "HOT–HOT–HOTTER" and "NOT OFF — NOT CAR — NOT SCREEN", since that’s the way it actually works in a lot of Tigers.
                  ๐Ÿ˜‰

Actually Theo…if I can squeeze it on my next run…i will do that for you…anything is possible.

Paul

I purchased these gauges a couple years ago thinking I may at least use the tachometer in my Tiger when I complete the restoration.

The tachometer registers up to 8,000 RPM and the speedometer registers 180 mph. Someone told me they are probably gauges used in the early Cobras. Can anyone verify their car of origin (use)?

Thanks,
                  Gene

(I hope you can see the picture as this is the first time I am trying to imbed a photo in a reply).

quote Gene:

I purchased these gauges a couple years ago thinking I may at least use the tachometer in my Tiger when I complete the restoration.

The tachometer registers up to 8,000 RPM and the speedometer registers 180 mph. Someone told me they are probably gauges used in the early Cobras. Can anyone verify their car of origin (use)?

Thanks,
                  Gene

(I hope you can see the picture as this is the first time I am trying to imbed a photo in a reply).

I obviously had problems setting the picture in my previous post. I am trying again. Here is the link to where the photo is stored in case the picture doesn’t show in the posting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29256751@N … otostream/

Viewing 18 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.