Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Anyone know if a 1980s mustang 302 ‘roller’ engine will fit the Tiger? It has been rebuilt and has vee pulleys. I guess it will be a 6 bolt job, so it will not fit the Tiger bell housing. I wondered if the valve covers were too tall (are there roller rockers in top)?

Just finished my 5.0 & T5 conversion on my 65 Tiger and everything fit like a glove. The 2.95 T5 makes my Tiger a blast to drive. I went the S10 modification to the T5 and now am just trying to find a shifter that fits my reach. My 5.0 is a 94 Cobra motor. Plenty of power and great highway cruiser now.

I just bought a book on How to Rebuild the Small Block Ford. This seems to have the answers as to what you can do with all these engines. I think the roller cams/tappets will fit into the standard 260/289/302 blocks.

quote yendisniaps:

I just bought a book on How to Rebuild the Small Block Ford. This seems to have the answers as to what you can do with all these engines. I think the roller cams/tappets will fit into the standard 260/289/302 blocks.

To use the roller cam and tappets you must remove the baffles in the valve covers.

66tigermk1a
      Participant

I don’t know if a stock 80’s ‘roller’ motor has roller rockers… but it does have roller lifters. I put one in my Tiger this Summer but used ‘TrickFlow’ heads that DO have roller rockers…They also have an extra 3/8" raised lip where the valve cover attaches. I have Ford ‘Motorsports’ valve covers similar in size to the cast ‘Tiger’ ones and still had to remove the baffles. The whole thing fits no problem… but I’ll never see those nice anodized rockers again as I can’t get the valve covers off with the motor installed. You can see pics of it here…

http://groups.msn.com/431HeronPlace/shoebox.msnw?Page=2

With the 351 in the Lister I have to drop the tranny mount to remove the valve covers. I did modify the firewall but still need to drop the tranny mount.With the 302 in the 62 I have roller cam and tappets.
        I made sure when I did the firewall the same as the lister.I don’t think I will have a problem

The roller cam in 302’s came out in late 1985. No stock 302’s had roller rockers. They did have the wider stamped steel rockers that require more room and wider covers than the 260/289’s. This clearance my not be a problem with aluminun roller rockers and later aluminum covers.

I tried to run with no baffels with the stock PVC plumbed to the right cover and it pulled oil into the intake. I raised the baffles up reducing the space between the baffels and the covers, reinstalled the baffles, used two gaskets on the covers and modified the early "Tiger" covers for more room. That solved the oil problem.

When you have the engine out, hammer more clearance in the body for the right rocker cover an it will be easier to remove. There is never too much.

John Logan

quote John Logan:

When you have the engine out, hammer more clearance in the body for the right rocker cover an it will be easier to remove. There is never too much.

John Logan

Oh so true!!!!

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.