Thank you for your reply, Mike. The car is a ’66 Tiger. My question was not with the overall cable/sheathing length but with the length of the cable inside the sheathing. With the gear installed on the new cable, the internal cable extended beyond the opposite end about 7/8″ further than that in the existing cable/sheathing. This made that internal cable too long to fit into the speedometer. As noted previously, Rick M. suggested I not try to shorten it myself as it is a hardened steel cable. Since my posting, a neighbor recommended Speedometer Service Company here in Milwaukee. As a walk-in yesterday, they were able to replace the internal cable with an appropriate length cable, refitting the ends as I waited. Per Doug at Speedometer Service, the appropriate length of the internal cable should have it extending 3/8″ at the speedometer end. It now does. I can’t recommend this business highly enough for anyone in need of a repaired or new cable. As of last night, with Tom Jeffers advice and encouragement, the cable is now installed. We’ll see if all’s working later today. Crossing my fingers….