Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I was wondering if anybody was using the Weiand Stealth intake on a 302 or other SBF and had managed to fit it (together with a Holley 600 cfm) under the Tiger’s stock hood, without cutting the hood?
      If so, what type/make/part number of air cleaner are you using?
      Many thanks.

Hallo,
      I use the weiand stealth and it fits with the original aircleaner under the closed hood.
      But I use a higher airfilter as the original airfilter is to small for the engine.
      Therefore I have spacer under the hood. The hood is optical not closed, but of course fixed.
      regards
      Hans

Tiger331,
      Thanks very much for your reply.
      I don’t suppose that there is any other air cleaner/filter combination suitable for a modified 302 or 331/347 which will fit under the stock, closed hood (otherwise you would have fitted it)?
      I am surprised that the Weiand Stealth and stock air cleaner will fit under the stock hood since the Stealth is almost an inch taller than the Edelbrock Performer 2121 which was a pretty tight fit. I guess a lot depends on what air cleaner is fitted.

alpine-64
      Participant

Another option is a drop base filter.. that way you run a taller filter but the base point is much lower.. i have seen this on a few Tigers

alpine_64,
        Thanks for that.
        That sounds a good idea but I am concerned that the drop base air cleaner will actually reduce the air flow, which is an important consideration on a modified engine.
        Is my assumption correct or not?
        Can you advise any particular makes/models/part numbers for drop base air cleaners which will fit under the stock hood?

I have just realised that Weiand make another intake, the Action Plus (8124), which is a low-rise manifold like the Edelbrock Performer (2121). It is a more modern design than the Performer and it is apparently more efficient, according to Holley.
        The rear heights of the two intakes are the same at 4.75 inches.
        The only difference is that the front height of the Weiand 8124 is 0.32 inches taller
        (3.82 compared to 3.50).
        Does anybody know of someone using this intake on a Tiger, under a fully closed stock hood with a suitable air cleaner/filter?
        The front dimension is only 0.32 inches more, but it could break the whole deal with the Tiger’s sloping hood!

Sorry about the way this table has come out on here. I hope you can sift through the information.

I have just come across this very useful article on intake manifolds:
        http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/te … uelsys.asp
        To summarise the article’s conclusion on Edelbrock intakes, combined with the addition of recent information on Weiand intakes:

Intake Manifold
        Front Height (A)
        Rear Height (B)
        Carb Pad Height (CH) Fits?
        F4B
        4.94 Yes, just!
        Performer 2121
        4.13 Yes
        Weiand Action-Plus 8124
        4.29 Yes
        Performer RPM
        4.9 Yes
        Weiand Stealth 8020
        4.97 NO
        Torker 2
        4.59 Yes

All dimensions are in inches (and rounded to 2 decimal places because my table setting is playing up)!

According to the article, the F4B is a very tight fit with most carbs under a stock Tiger hood!
        ALL the others appear to fit, with the exception of the Weiand Stealth 8020.

The F4B is not that tight unless you also have spacers between the engine mounts and the block (for cooling fan clearance) as well as a carb heat isolator or PCV plate.

I have the F4B with no engine spacers, just one carb to intake manifold gasket, and I run the 2" tall K&N filter in the stock AC housing. No problems so far.

Theo,
        Glad to hear some good news on the manifold front. Would anybody else like to chip in with a personal experience, giving details of manifold, spacers, carb and model/size/ part number etc of air cleaner?

alpine-64
        Participant
          quote sprocketman:

alpine_64,
          Thanks for that.
          That sounds a good idea but I am concerned that the drop base air cleaner will actually reduce the air flow, which is an important consideration on a modified engine.
          Is my assumption correct or not?
          Can you advise any particular makes/models/part numbers for drop base air cleaners which will fit under the stock hood?

The drop base filter will not reduce airflow.. it has the same clearance as a normal cleaner between the top of the carb and top of the filter.. but it has greater depth so allows a larger filter.. hence more air area and higher flow.

quote sprocketman:

I have just realised that Weiand make another intake, the Action Plus (8124), which is a low-rise manifold like the Edelbrock Performer (2121). It is a more modern design than the Performer and it is apparently more efficient, according to Holley.
          The rear heights of the two intakes are the same at 4.75 inches.
          The only difference is that the front height of the Weiand 8124 is 0.32 inches taller
          (3.82 compared to 3.50).
          Does anybody know of someone using this intake on a Tiger, under a fully closed stock hood with a suitable air cleaner/filter?
          The front dimension is only 0.32 inches more, but it could break the whole deal with the Tiger’s sloping hood!

Hi,

I am running the Weiand action plus on my stock 260 with an Edelbrock carburettor. The stock Tiger air cleaner fits under the hood/bonnet with no issues, but anything taller unless a drop base will give you problems. I tried to reinstall my aftermarket "Tiger" embossed air cleaner assembly and it is too close to the hood (basically only the gasket between the intake & carby) 😡 . Due to the weird size air cleaner, there are not many air cleaner options for me so back to the original for the moment.

Regards, Robin.

Viewing 10 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.