Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      thall66

Question: Is it ok to remove the Tiger ID tags in the engine compartment for painting.

Seems like this used to be a sacred cow, not to be done under any circumstance. I am getting ready to paint my engine compartment and would like to remove the tags for a higher quality job, but not at the expense of violating some understood "law of the Tiger".

As a side note, my car been authenticated, as carries a sticker and TAC number.

Does your serial number plate still have the original rivets on it? If so there is no way I would remove that plate! Now if it had been removed in the past and it has regular Pop Rivets holding it down go ahead and remove it for painting. When I painted my car I carefully masked around the plate. Eric

thall66

Yes, all original rivets. This would be the first.

I think you’ll find you can remove the rivits and replace them with avex rivits,that look just like the "real" ones! just like we’ve done on the Tiger.
      while they are a pop rivit the head is a different shape.

ironbeast

I am facing the same issue. Interested on what you decided to do. My painter wanted to remove it or he couldn’t gaurantee that some rust might peek out from under it at a later date.
      I’m thinking of taking my chances on the rust and not removing it.

quote jkgriffs:

I think you’ll find you can remove the rivits and replace them with avex rivits,that look just like the “real” ones!

Does anyone have a picture of what these look like? My car came with the VIN plate already removed, so I have nothing to go on.

Thanks in advance,
      John.

rheeder218

I’m also looking for a picture if the correct rivets that hold the vin tag and the rest of the tags. Thanks

rheeder218

Id also like to see a picture of original rivets for the vin tag and the rest of the plates thanks

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.