Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Eric; Thank you for your reply. I have located helicopter tape on line. The description indicates a protective strip on the back side of the tape that is peeled off, exposing the adhesive prior to application. Is there an adhesive on the tape you use? Can this be removed from the car without paint damage or is it a permanent adhesive?
      Thanks again for your reply.

I would think that placing the tape on the underside of the top would solve the problem of tape residue on the body of the car. Or am I missing a significant detail?

Fred Baum

In packaging/protection design, the trick is to put the shielding material onto the finish you wish to protect, so the tape has to go on the car, else the combined hardtop/tap will just move against the paint. So it has to have a residue-free or cleanable adhesive. Automakers and others use it on their new product shipments, so should be plenty of it out there, but I don’t happen to know the brands without researching.

The 3M tape we used was self-adhesive. It can be peeled off if done in the heat of the day, and done gently. Tiger Tom was using it as stone chip protection on his Tiger a few years ago.

Thanks to all for your help. My concern is, after the tape is removed, is there an adhesive residue that must be removed and can it be done with no damage?

I assume the discussion is about real 3M helicopter rotor tape, not some of the commercial tapes sold or like new car protection.

I did use real honest to goodness 3M chopper tape on my Tiger and ultra black and shiny Avanti. On both cars I applied permanently on quarter panels and wheel well lips. This stuff works. I also applied on front of car but wanted to be able to remove and reinstall on occasion of long trips. The reason for removal was that there are severe depressions on both cars. These depressions were beyond normal stretch points of the tape which would cause small areas of delimitation or air bubbles over time and look ugly. I solved some of the problem by cutting smaller pieces, but none the less, it was obvious there was protection on front of the car. Did I say this stuff works!

This stuff can be removed and reinstalled. But the reinstalled pieces look really, really ugly since it is IMPOSSIBLE to put back on without wrinkles, air bubbles, little pieces of dirt, etc. But as I said it works and I did use it that way on long trips.

Now the forum question, does it leave residue. NO But and however, there is a micro impression of the adhesive that is easily polished out. My real test is on the ultra black Avanti. And it worked. Still ultra glossy with no paint damage.

BWTM. Be concerned about removing helicopter tape, not the residue. This stuff adheres as well as it protects. Even when painting with a heat gun, it is so tenacious that if you have paint not properly prepped, it may pull paint off the car. To reduce this possibility, I waxed the heck out of all surfaces before applying the tape.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.