Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

My ’69 GT is up and running…. kind of…. front carb is working fine and is providing air and fuel to all four cylinders. rear carb has zero vacuum coming through it and piston is sitting at bottom. Checked the diaphram and it is OK (its new). Did I mess something up when I installed the carbs??? These are 150 CD SE carbs.

Thanks

Jan Eyerman

Bob and Jean Webb
      Participant

there are specific directions in the shop manual for these cars to set up these carbs. they are different from conventional strombergs due to having no mixture adjustments and the linkage between the two is not connected together as with regular strombergs. you need to follow the procedure which includes making the wire bracket needed to set the linkage. you will find a long white plastic cover on the side of each carb. check the metal strip inside to make sure it’s intact and not broken. this is part of the mixture adjustment. these carbs are somewhat self adjusting but do run a little lean which is something you can’t do anything about. make sure the needle on the bottom of the piston is centered and not bent.if bent or not set right the piston can stick. is the intake manifold bolted to the top of the exhaust manifold and if so do you have the copper gaskets between the intake and exhaust manifolds. also make sure the vacuum line is hooked to each carb. the jets also are different from regular strombergs. if you don’t have the manual for this range of cars,i can copy and send you the section on the carbs.

Quick check, see if you can push the piston up with your finger? and if it dose not fall back down, first check oil in the top dampner. If the piston is stuck in the up position, lossen the four top dome screws and see if the piston falls. :mrgreen:

Hi Jan,

Here is a dumb thought, but has the throttle linkage between the carbs slipped?

Dave

Discovered the linkage is bent and is holding rear carb shut. After playing around with everything, I got the rear carb working. Then discovered two badly (30 degrees!) bent push rods. So ordered a new set from Sunbeam Specialties (Rick is GREAT!). Now she seems to be running real well. Unfortunately, Hurricane Sandy put a stop to my car work for an entire month.

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.